Thread: Wireless Hotspot

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar

Wireless Hotspot

Hi TZ,

Was wondering if anyone knows how to make a wireless "hotspot"?

Using XP PRO Laptop with 802.11b/g managed through WindowsWireless on a Domain. There may be some Group/Local Policies stopping Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing and the ability to Bridge networks.

The idea is to connect to LAN/Internet through Ethernet connection, and set up the wireless connection to share with other devices/netbook/psp/phone etc.

So, how do you set it up, and what policies need to be checked (enabled) to ensure everything runs?

Cheers!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I am having trouble with terminology. Hotspot, are you wanting to share your connection with anyone and everyone, or are you just wanting to allow you to use all of your devices and still be secure from others?

Also, which wireless router do you have?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    are you wanting to create like an adhoc connection http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...ocwireless.htm

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Sorry for the mix-up of lingo and latest jargon buzz words... I'm easily influenced by TV adverts...

OK, i'm trying to setup an Ad-hoc wireless network, that could be a hotspot for 'free' / public connections or more secured for use with my own devices.

I'll be using a LAPTOP instead of a wireless access point or router, with it's internet connection from either Dial-up or Ethernet connection.

Principally the network is to get a PSP access to the internet (for updates and WAP browsing), but could be extended to other laptops/phones/netbooks etc.

As per the OP, the laptop is part of a domain with certain (unknown) group policies locking down certain (unknown) services.

SO, how do you set it up, and what policies need to be checked (enabled) to ensure everything runs?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---