Thread: Which version of Windows XP should i buy.

Which version of Windows XP should i buy.

hello. my aunt is wanting to buy a copy of windows xp home for her old laptop from 2005. she lost her system disk.

i was wondering where i would buy it, and which version i should buy. OEM or retail with SP2 or SP3. kinda confused about which version and if microsoft will support it with security updates and what not.

maybe the question is confusing, but any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

Get the OEM copy. It is $89.99 at TigerDirect.com.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

oh ok, thank you. one thing about the OEm version. i bought an OEM version of windows XP on ebay. and when i use it, i cant upgrade to SP3. it invalidates the code. why is this? and will thishappen if i buy it again from tigerdirect?

-thank you

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    If the eBay OEM version was legitimate then it should not have failed in installing/passing SP3 validation... most likely it was a copied Serial - you should call Microsoft and tell them the sellers details for them to chase... Microsoft will actually give you a legitimate Serial in return for their prosecution.

Now, TigerDirect are a reputable vendor, so their software should be legitimate - however, unless it comes in a proper sealed box its always a risk you take. Sometimes its best to go to the shop and look/touch the actual box so you know you're the only person to have that Serial.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

The product from TigerDirect contains SP3. Link
    Linux Mint Debian Edition