Thread: PC Boot Problem

PC Boot Problem

Hi all again.
    I have a custom built pc with problems.

MSI Mobo DDR2 MS-7392
    2xGeil DDR2 Mem

on power up, with combinations of memory slots, 1 or 2

1 fans start then stop continuously about 8 second intervals.
    2 Fans start up but no signal to monitor
    NO BEEPS at all

Removal of memory - 2 long beeps.

removal of gfx card, same problem, changed psu, same prob, reset cmos with jumper and removed battery. no luck. Reseated everything including CPU.

I am stuck now, i need to identify the rproblem and replace the part. Its all still under guaranty.

Any help will be appreciated.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you checked the CPU Heatsink fan?

Try each stick of RAM on its own.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Yes

I took the cpu out and re-seated it, the fan is fine, also tried 1 stick on its own then the other in various slots.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    As you seem to have tried all the peripherals i would hazard a guess that the Mobo is either faulty or is shorting out somewhere on the case.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I had this problem but with the video card. I had to re-seat it 3 times.
    The other thing to check is that the CPU is supported with the shipped BIOS, otherwise you will have to use an older CPU to be able to boot and flash the BIOS.
    some Quad did not work with factory BIOS and the BIOS needed to be flashed.
    Also, I am assuming that the motherboard is G31P.
    Again, I think that it is the video card not sitting right (or the power not connected to it), try it with the video card screwed in, and without being screwed (sometimes screwing the GPU will move it slightly.
    If that fails, you need to verify your BIOS version and the CPU, and if you have an older CPU, or core 2 Duo, try that instead of a quad core (assuming you are using a quad core)

The pc has been working for the past few months, its just gone wonky recenly, i was told that some strange comments were coming up about clocking/overclocking but as the owner is not computer literate i have no idea what the messages were or if they were in boot up or windows.

Faulty mobo seems to be the problem i think, but cant be sure.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    that motherboard has an intel chipset (the G31). Intel chipsets for the Dual Core and up have been very stable, so unless you have really bad luck and there is a bad component the motherboard should be fine.
    If the computer has been working for a while, that discarts the CPU support, but still could be a problem with the video card not sitting well.
    Usually a faulty board will still give you some kind of message. the ram seems to be detected fine, but it seems is something before since you get the no beeps. At that stage there are 3 main suspects:
    1) CPU, the CPU has been working, so unless it overheated at some point, it should not be a problem. Also the CPU has a special socket, which makes it extremely difficult not to seat it right.
    2) Video card: again, test it without screwing it to the board and screwing it to the board. Make sure the PCIe power is connected to the card if the card requires it.
    3) power supply: you did mention that you tried a different power supply, but I had problems once where the PT1 connector that connects to the motherboard (the 24 pin) had a bad connector because the board was pushing it out of place.
    If after you rule out all 3, then you can see what is the warranty on the motherboard.

Ive returned the board, unfortunately its all out of warranty now, i just scraped in with the rma on the board, gonna be 6-8 weeks, watch this space

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Let us know how you go, hopefully they give you a new board, rather than a refurb or try to fix your old board! Goodluck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---