Thread: Windows 7 endless reboot problem stymies Microsoft

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

Windows 7 endless reboot problem stymies Microsoft

Users remained stymied today by endless reboots after trying to upgrade their PCs to Windows 7, according to messages posted on Microsoft's support forum.

An answer has yet to be found for all users, who began reporting the problem last Friday after watching the upgrade stall two-thirds of the way through the process. Most users said that their PCs had displayed an error that claimed the upgrade had been unsuccessful and that Vista would be restored. Instead, their PCs again booted to the Windows 7 setup process, failed, then restarted the vicious cycle .

Several Microsoft engineers, including the company's senior group manager for Windows supportability, have offered advice, but on Monday users continued to publish complaints on a growing forum thread.

"I think I've gotten to the point where trying to install Windows 7 is simply not worth it," said "Chimaera717" around 1 p.m. ET today. Chimaera717 was one of the first users to gripe about reboot hell. "I'm more content with actually having a working computer. Anyone know if we can get our money back?"

Earlier, Microsoft support engineers posting to the thread urged users to burn downloaded upgrades -- which were delivered as disk image, or .iso, files -- at their DVD drives' slowest speeds to reduce the chance of corrupting the data, one possible explanation for the endless reboots. At the same time, one user pointed others to a document published last July on Microsoft's support site that spelled out a possible solution.

Full story: InfoWorld

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Didn't the same thing happen when Veeesta came out? Only happened on AMD systems if I recall.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Best advice is to do a clean install

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---