Thread: Screen Resolution

Screen Resolution

I just bought a 21.5" Acer H213H monitor. I purposely never installed a video card in my latest build because I did not want to hear the noisy fan, plus I really didn't need one anyway (I do emulation not PC gaming). So, my onboard video has ATI Radeon HD 3200. Problem is I'm running 1680x1050 resolution @ 60 hertz. Not looking very good, I need it to be able to go back to 75. So, I am going to buy a fanless video card. Question is will a MSI R4550-MD1GH Radeon HD 4550 1GB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 LINK do the job? I need to be sure that it will run that resolution at 75 hertz.

North Central Arkansas
    I am not going to discuss your need for this card. I am going to assume that you have made all of the decisions base on need.

Specs for that card has the following: "The ATI Radeon HD 4550 GPUs can upscale video display to 2560x1600 on dual-link monitors which is almost twice the display resolution of 1080p displays."

It should produce clear/sharp images on your Acer monitor. Any fuzziness would be the fault of the monitor, not the card.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Software Paradise
    A couple of things... most modern add-in video cards can support higher resolutions at higher refresh rates... i think you'll probably find, the limiting factor in your situation will actually be the LCD monitor you have...

You didn't mention if you've previously been able to achieve 1680x1060 @ 75Hz on that same monitor... so you may not be able to achieve it, even with a $1000 video card.

I found the tech specs for the monitor HERE but it didn't have a matrix to say what resolution supported which refresh rate...

NOW, in saying all that, you'll be hard pressed to find a cheap monitor that supports what you're after... unless you get a decent HD screen and 'under-resolution' it from 1900 to 1600...

Finally though, depended on your new video card, you might be able to use a special software tool, that forces the resolution and refresh rate, i think the Radeon Catalyst drivers have this function as standard.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---