Thread: Hibernate going wonky

Hibernate going wonky

My XP PC is slowly getting more and more eccentric. A little while back, it started to sometimes fail to hibernate or turn off... it would get to the shutdown screen and hang forever.
    Most recently, I've found that when I set it to hibernate and walk off, I come back to find it on the login screen - instead of hibernating it brings up the hibernate progress bar and then some-how ends up on the login screen.

Any ideas?

I am having the same problem. Been fighting it for a couple weeks. Tried turning off the power settings. Deleted several programs that might have been causing the issue, including Ad-aware.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    This is usually a problem with programs that change the driver for the power state and when the machine tries to switch the power state it hangs.
    A usual cause is Windows Media Center, if it was configured as an server or extender will do that, since during setup it removes those states to avoid the computer being offline.
    However, I have not been able to fix it myself since I did not almost spend time trying to fix this, but you can try switching power schemes.
    I can try when I go home, since my computer doesn't hybernate anymore (because of WMC), but here is some readying for the meantime
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858
    I wonder if there is a way to reset the windows power management.
    BTW, windows 7 sleep mode (S3) is awesome. The computer can recover as fast as it can recover from a screen saver

Right after my post, a windows update started to install. The system hung during the update. At that point xp would hang at the welcome screen.

Windows repair would not work so I am now writing 0's to my hd in preparation for a clean install of xp.

It just gets weirder...

As I said I've never been able to catch Windows in the act, but I assumed it jumped straight to the login screen at the end of hibernation process.

However last night I watched the PC hibernate, and saw it actually shut down at the end. Yet this morning, there it was, running again, on the login screen. As far as I can tell, the PC turned itself back on!

The obvious answer is that our cat jumped on the keyboard in the night, but the wireless keyboard does not work when the PC is hibernated. And there's no way the power button on the PC can be pushed accidentally.

Ideas?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    System Restore back to before this began? Sounds to me like an update went in crooked...

How can a Windows update cause the PC to turn itself on from a depowered state? The OS isn't running when hibernated, is it? The memory contents are shunted to hard-disk and the PC turns off.

my problems corrected after doing a recovery disk installation.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    As I put in my post, did you tried reseting the power profiles?