Thread: Californian launches lawsuit over WoW's slow game mechanics

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

Californian launches lawsuit over WoW's slow game mechanics

Erik Estavillo, a resident of California, filed a lawsuit today against World of Warcraft maker Activision Blizzard. The man contends World of Warcraft is filled with illegalities, such as a slow game pace designed to make the player character "[take] longer to get where he or she needs to go," according to a section of his civil complaint charge.

Besides the slow game pace, Estavillo also claims in the lawsuit his numerous health problems are caused by World of Warcraft. OCD, Agoraphobia, Panic Disorder, depression and Crohn's Disease -- yup, all from the game. We suspect the judge presiding over this court case might ask him: "So ah, say this game has given you six disorders -- so why didn't you stop playing it and stuff?"

Further damaging the appearance of this lawsuit are two celebrities subpoenaed to support Estavillo's case. According to this seemingly off-kilter guy, Winona Ryder's shared interest in J.D. Salinger's classic The Catcher in the Rye qualifies her presence in the court battle to "explain the signifcance of alienation in [the novel] and. . . how alienation in [it] can tie to alienation in real life [in] video games such as World of Warcraft."

Full story: Neoseeker

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Can anyone say, "frivolous"?

Pronunciation: \ˈfri-və-ləs\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Latin frivolus
    Date: 15th century

1 a : of little weight or importance b : having no sound basis (as in fact or law) <a frivolous lawsuit>
    2 a : lacking in seriousness b : marked by unbecoming levity

— friv·o·lous·ly adverb

— friv·o·lous·ness noun

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I am thinking that I should sue Konami then. Because I got stock in Devil May cry and I can kill the boxx, and I have lost countless hours of my life trying to finish a game that I can, and that produced premature hair loss since I was pulling my hair in frustration
    I don't like WoW because of the large amount that it takes to do anything, but then, I played it for a month or so, and I quit when I realized I had 28 hours played, and I was in level 28 (I was trying to play solo).
    The mechanics of the game might not be bad if so many players are hooked to it (including my mom), but everyone has freedom to stop playing, waste their lives playing or just not like the game.
    In my case I preffer to "invest" my time finishing as many games as I can
    I am working on Silent Hill: Homecoming right now.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Haha, Just like the guy who just 'beat' WoW!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---