http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx
you all probably know already of MS Office 2010 beta, but have you guys used it?
I installed Windows 7 at home, so I decided to try the beta since I don't have any other productivity software (I only have games installed so far, PRIORITIES)
So far I like it. I don't know if it is the hardware at home, or the combination of 7 and 2010, or all together (most likely) but 2010 is really snappy. I LIKE IT!!
I like Word and Excel to open in a second, and Outlook opens in 3 to 5 seconds.
Outlook seems to have the biggest improvement on the engine (and it was probably the app that needed it the most)
I use Outlook for my work, and we have Exchange 2003. Anyone that has setup outlook to connect to Exchange knows that the first connection needs to be done on the network so it can connect to the GC server. Well, 2010 work right away, and I did not need to launch the VPN, which is amazing since Cisco's VPN client does not run n 64 bit.My mailbox is 400MB, and at work it takes 10 minutes to start up (because it always checks the integrity of the OST), and even then I disaled search to make it faster.
In 2010, it opens quick, it can search extremely well, and it closes quick (unless it is still doing a sync, in which case it needs to finish)
I made it crash once though. My first application that I made crash in Windows 7 64bit. I downloaded the 64 bit version, which should only be beneficial for people with large spreadsheet, but since it is a beta why not.
downloading the Outlook connector I was also able to connect my hotmail account, and my office live account. It also detected the settings for the gmail really easy.
The display of the emails is clean, and they look good.
All this good stuff, and I haven't tried the social networking connection yet, but then again, I am not social and I barely use my FB account. I connect here more than to FB.
I will be taking some docs from work and try them out on the 2010 and see if I can add the trinquets in excel (it can make a chart in a cell to track numbers)