Thread: Rip music to computer

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Rip music to computer

My wife has a ton of CDs that we would like to convert in a digital format for the pc.
    I usually use CDex with LAME in VBR quality 0, and a range of 192 to 260 kbps
    I have been doing this for years, but now I am wondering if maybe I am a bit out of date. How do you guys pass your CDs to the PC?
    On a separate note, do you guys pass the DVDs to the PC too?
    I have been doing this with our DVds as well. We have around 300 Dvd. I am using handbrake high profile in mp4, but I think I could still improve the quality.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I am lazy and these days just use I-Tunes for everything. And Handbrake is still good.

I don't like itunes at all. It installs 3 services, and I don't even have an ipod. My wife uses itunes, but then her music sometimes cannot be played in another PC(not even with itunes)
    She probably has DRM by default. She was actually quite upset that there is about 4 GB of music that she copied from her older laptop and cannot play in the new one. Not to mention all the stuff that she downloaded from itunes and cannot play anymore. She used to buy all her music from the itunes store, now she has not buy music in a year.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Media Player 11 for me, just set to mp3 192-320 or whatever you like.

DVD's I use ripbot x264... allows batching of VOBs into avc avi or mkv etc. Slightly more compression but better quality than your standard xvid etc...

Although, if you have the HD capacity, then just extract the VOBs and watch as is, you'll get the bestest quality... however at ~8gb each dvd, you'll quickly fill even the largest HD's out there...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You might find this helpful to get that music back Dave.

so far I have encoded 150 files. Some are repeated since I was trying different settings for quality.
    The biggest file is 2 GB, but it is encoded with the older version of handbrake. The new version even using high profile are about 1.2 GB. All these files in mp4.
    I have about 8 files in MKV and they are between 500 and 900 MB. A lot smaller, but Xbox360 does not play mkv , and mp4 does not support multiple language streams, which is a problem since my biggest DVD collection is actually anime, and I usually like to listen to it in Japanese with english subtitles. But handbrake cannot extract the subtitles correctly either from all the anime... and it ends up doing as burn in, and not optional, which is what I want.
    This is so complicated.
    For all these files, I am only using 228 GB from a 1TB drive, so I am OK space wise.
    I will give a try to ripbot tonight to see if it does better with the subtitles. The blog has a ton o information about HTPC and xbox360, which is great. I will combined my experiences with the blog in the next week and see what I come up with.
    Rik, I will pass this info to my wife, so she can disable the other PC, however she does not have it anymore, so we will see what happens with that.