Thread: System restore stops & starts & stops & ....

System restore stops & starts & stops & ....

Event #4
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: SRService
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 108
    Date: 12/18/2009
    Time: 4:50:54 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    The System Restore service has resumed monitoring due to space freed on the system drive.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event #3
    Event ID: 107
    Time: 4:39:40 PM
    Computer:
    Description:
    The System Restore service has been suspended because there is not enough disk space available on the drive \\?\Volume{fecd39af-0bfd-11de-9ea8-806d6172696f}\. System Restore will automatically resume service once at least 200 MB of free disk space is available on the system drive.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event #2
    Event ID: 108
    Time: 3:36:55 PM
    Computer:
    Description:
    The System Restore service has resumed monitoring due to space freed on the system drive.

Event #1
    Event ID: 107
    Time: 3:34:41 PM
    Computer:
    Description:
    The System Restore service has been suspended because there is not enough disk space available on the drive \\?\Volume{fecd39af-0bfd-11de-9ea8-806d6172696f}\. System Restore will automatically resume service once at least 200 MB of free disk space is available on the system drive.

As you can see from the above events, system restore repeatedly stops & starts? I have 118G free on a 150G drive & 400G free on another 450G drive? I have no idea what the problem is or where to begin to find the \\?\Volume{f...2696f}\ file that may be causing these errors as it shows up in each event the suspends system restore. Does anyone have any suggestions? All previous restore points are wiped out? Thanks.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    The System Volume is hidden and located in the root of C:\

It may be that the amount of space allocated for System Restore is too small. R-click the My Computer icon and choose Properties. Then click the System Restore tab. This should show the available drives and their status. Highlight the C drive and then click the settings button. You should find a slider showing the amount of drive space allocated for System Restore. Mine is set to maximum 12%, but you may choose whatever amount you need.

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    The System Volume is hidden and located in the root of C:\

It may be that the amount of space allocated for System Restore is too small. R-click the My Computer icon and choose Properties. Then click the System Restore tab. This should show the available drives and their status. Highlight the C drive and then click the settings button. You should find a slider showing the amount of drive space allocated for System Restore. Mine is set to maximum 12%, but you may choose whatever amount you need.
    Thanks for the reply rik. It's already set to the maximum 12%?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I am finding that some people have had luck in this manner. Disable System Restore on all drives, reboot, then re-enable it on the C: drive (system drive). Be aware also though that Under normal circumstances, that will delete all the old restore points and start fresh.
    Last edited by rik; December 21st, 2009 at 03:22 AM.

Thanks for the reply rik. It turns out the problem was with the D: drive. I have system restore only on the C: drive now & have not had the same problem.