Thread: Display on TV under Win 7

Silver Member

Display on TV under Win 7

Hi all it's been a while. I recently updated my HTPC from a single core athlon to a dual core i3. Along with that I went from Win XP to Win 7. I kept the same graphics card, a 9800GT which has the s-video out which is actually component out. Now, I used this with my Win XP setup to display on my TV. However, with Win7 now, it won't let me display on the TV. It worked fine on my monitor all throughout setup, I unplugged the monitor hooked up the "s-video" cable, restarted the pc. Everything during the post and the boot and the windows loading screen will display on the TV, but once windows actually gets to the desktop the PC goes blank. I am also drawing a blank. I have no idea what to do. I've gone into the nvidia control panel, it doesn't detect the tv, I've tried to extend the desktop with windows, it won't detect the tv. I don't understand how it can display the post and the boot and windows loading on the tv but then go blank once windows loads. Any help is much appreciated.

There must be a match of scan rate and resolution for it to work. Check to make sure that the output from the graphics card can be used by the TV. Some graphics cards can produce very high scan rates. The native scan rate for most TV's is 60 Hz. Check your manual for the TV.

If you no longer have the TV manual, you can usually find it on the internet.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Silver Member
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have it setup just like I did when I had the card in my XP box. Native resolution of 720P and refresh of 60HZ. Win 7 doesn't even detect the TV as an actual output. When I try to set it up all it says is Generic Non PnP Monitor and in the Nvidia control panel it says that all I have is an analog display.

Silver Member
    I've also tried forcing the tv display on through the nvidia control panel but nothing wants to work.

Silver Member
    Apparently it's a driver issue. I installed the 165 drivers from back in 09 and it works. What's up with Nvidia and windows 7? You'd think they'd have bugs like this worked out by now.

My TV allows many inputs to include 4 HDMI, composite, dvi, vga, basic rca, and several usb connections. That allows me to connect the satellite DVR, computer, PS3 and thumb drive for photos. I do however, have to go to my TV remote to select the appropriate source.

Is it possible that your TV requires the same kink of source selection?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Silver Member
    Yes my TV is like that as well. But, I have all of my things connected through my surround sound system via component. I had it hooked up just like I did before and the sound would come out through the speakers but it would only display on the TV during the post and the loading screen. Once windows was fully loaded the screen went back to blank.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Windows 7 creates profiles for the displays. This feature actually works quite well, and is beneficial for laptops that connect to projectors.
    If your TV has VGA, I would use the VGA instead of the S-video. Reason for this is that from the VGA input it will expect the refresh rate to be by dots instead of linear. The S-video usually has linear (from top to bottom) refresh rate. So as you can see, this makes a huge difference.
    You did mention that it detects as generic PnP analog monitor, and this probably is the problem. From the Nvidia control panel you can set your display as a TV. You will have to have a monitor conected to do this thought.
    Another thing...what motherboard did you use? and H55 or H57?
    The Core i3 has integrated graphics on the CPU. You don't need the 9800GT since they actually produce enough power for flash HD (hulu) and since you use the PC as a HTC, you will benefit a lot from the power savings. I have 2 8800GT, which are the same things as the 9800GT and my PC uses 480 watts.
    Toms hardware did an article not long ago about getting a core i3 to use 23 Watts, the only thing they needed to change is the power supply to a 220 Watts so it is more efficient.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e-pc,2551.html
    I will check tomorrow to see how much power our core i3 build uses. I used a 400 watts PSU since it is a desktop, but it should be interesting.
    I have an Atom HTC at home. it uses 23 Watts on load, but it can play flash videos. ATOM sucks , I am waiting for the ION2 PCI card so it I can upgrade the GPU