Thread: weird laptop hard drive problem

weird laptop hard drive problem

Hello guys,
    Been a long time since i had to post here but just had a strange problem so maybe someone can help.I have a Toshiba Qosmio F25 series laptop with a 250Gb hard drive.The other day somehow my hard drive got corrupted and i could not boot to the operations system at all.Tried doing a repair,FIXBOOT and FIXMBR with no change.Finally i went and used my factory restore discs and got it up and running again.However now my hard drive is only reading as 130GB.I tryed using partition magic and a live partition CD and both show the hard drive as only 130GB.

The Laptop is running Windows XP MCE service pack 3 with all the latest updates installed.2GB Dual Channel ram,Intel Pentium M 1.86GHz processor.

I dont know whats going on with the hard drive so open to suggestions.I have the hard drive formatted to NTFS just like it was prior to the issue so im stuck.Any suggestions would be great.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try re-installing SP3. Standalone version here.

If that doesn't fix it try the EnableBigLBA Tool which will adjust the registry to enable large disk support.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks for the reply Reverend,tryed reinstalling SP3 and using the tool the tool said it passed and didnt need to be enabled and SP3 made no change.whatever is going on seems to be from the toshiba restore CD yet i dont understand why.

EDIT:swapped the hard drive for a spare 100GB one and all works fine so i took the 250 and put it in my external enclosure.tryed formatting with multiple tools and still only registers as 130GB,Its a WD scorpio drive so ran there test utility and it even only see's it as 130GB so since its still under warranty im going to return it for a replacement.very strange problem.If anyone has any other suggestions im all ears.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; February 26th, 2010 at 13:39 PM.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I had the same problem with a SSD drive.
    Gparted can try to fix bad MBR that report wrong size, but it is a hit or miss. It might fix the drive or it might not. If it doesn't you will still have to return it.

Well already tried using Gparted live CD when the problem first started but it to would only read the drive as 130GB so looks like a RMA will be needed.Thanks for the replies