Thread: RootKit, malware chase

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Exclamation RootKit, malware chase

Ok, so I seem to have a problem at work. My phone has Wifi, and I conect it to my work's network. Last week the phone got weird and applications stopped working. My wife (She has the same phone) even got a redirection on Opera.
    Yesterday we had to re-install the web part of a multifunction printer because it was redirecting. So I came to the conclusion that we have a root kit. Why? because all computers should have McAfee up to date on them. I say Should, because maybe someone brought a computer from home.
    Anyhow, I need to check the computers and I was wondering what do you guys recommend. I have scheduled AV scans in the network. But I cannot do check on all PCs with hijackThis. It will take me forever.
    Any Suggestions??

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I've been having good luck with malwarebytes.

Yes, but I need to run it in each machine. I have 40 here. It could be an endless chase.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Dehc, maybe you could put malware bytes (or Curio's Autoclean) app in the ClientApps folder in your domain, and edit the login_script.bat to do a scan on start-up... then once everything is installed/cleaned etc, just remove the apps/scripts

Goodluck!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I was also going to find out if I could deploy it thru group policy, but since my last test failed (I tried to deploy MSN messenger, since we want to use it to get everyone more communicated).
    I will look into your suggestion today.
    I have scheduled to come tomorrow to the office to run the cleaning, so I can get it over with.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Old post, but any luck Dehc?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---