Thread: Transferring email messages

Silver Member

Transferring email messages

Can someone kindly give me detailed instructions to transfer my email from one computer Vista with Windows Mail to a new computer using Windows 7 and Outlook 2007. I have been trying that export / import thing for hours and no success. On the old computer with Windows Mail, it seems to EXPORT the messages, but I do not know where they are going. It never asks me to insert a floppy or a flash drive to export / copy them to. Need help, please, Thanks, Mike

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Are they stored locally, or on server?

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Silver Member
    They are on my computer. I found the messages.. Mike / Appl Data / Local / Microsoft / Windows Mail / Local Folders. In the past i would just copy all these folders Inbox, Outbox, Deleted, Sent, etc etc to a flash drive. Then i would find the correct spot on the new computer, and just copy them over.
    But I can't find the correct place to copy them. why am I having such a hard time using that Import / Export feature ?? It only makes sense to ask me (Where should the program export the messages to). It never does. I guess it is me.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Those folders mirror the server Log in to your account to retrieve them.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Silver Member
    I got it the long way. On the new computer that already has Outlook 2007, I downloaded and installed Windows Live Mail. I then searched Windows Explorer to see where the mail folders were located.. Mike / Appl. Data / Local / Microsoft / Windows Live Mail. I then copied the mail folders (inbox / outbox / deleted, plus about 20 others ) to that folder that I had already saved to a flash drive from the old computer. I then started up Windows Live Mail. ALL the folders were there, to my surprise..this is good. I then started Outlook 2007, expecting a message that said Outlook was not the default mail program etc., did I want to make it so, but I did not get that message. I thought by opening Outlook, it would MOVE all the folders to Outlook, but it did not. I tried that IMPORT function..nothing. I then closed Outlook, and started Windows Live Mail. Then I tried that EXPORT function..it started exporting all the folders to somewhere. I then started Outlook 2007, and presto...all the folders were now in Outlook 2007. Soo, I finally have ALL the mail folders that i had created over the past three years, in Outlook 2007 where I want them. Thanks for the suggestions, piaqt. Mike