Thread: Computer won't stay on

Gold Member

Computer won't stay on

I have a friends HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop, about two and half years old. When I turn it on, the lights light on the panel for about 4 seconds and then I hear the fan for about three seconds, then the fan stops, but the lights stay on for about another 10 seconds, and then they go off also. In another second or two the lights come on again for about 4 seconds, and then the fan runs for about three seconds, and goes off. The lights stay on this time for about 8 seconds and then they go off. This repeats a few times with the lights staying on for less and less seconds, and then they go off and stay off. Nothing comes up on the screen and nothing plays in the CD / DVD unit. Any suggestions, please ?? Mike

There is a number of things that could be going on here so let deal with the possibilities, one at a time.

First remove all hardware except the monitor, keyboard and mouse. If it now boots, add one piece of hardware at a time. If, after adding a piece of hardware, the machine fails to boot, the last piece of hardware is your problem.

If above didn't work, start checking the following. You indicated that the fan would start. Is it the case fan or the CPU fan? I recently had a machine that reacted similar to yours when the CPU fan quit working.

Gold Member
    efc...Thanks for the reply, but this is a laptop, so there is no monitor, keyboard, and I do not use a mouse. The fan....I just hear "A" fan for about two seconds or so. Is there two fans in a laptop ?? I can check the memory, but I will need to print out the manual to find the power supply. Mike

Gold Member
    I checked both memory modules removed one at a time and then reinserted them No difference. Mike

HP DV series suffers from a serious flaw where the solder used gets hot enough to float the chips off - they have extended the warranty by two years because of it - what you describe sounds like one of the symptoms so check the warranty information. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...77&lc=en&cc=us
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Gold Member
    CURIO----Thanks so much. I am pretty sure the computer fits in that category, as I did find the numbers that have the problems. I will have her call HP at the number given. Hopefully shegets this repaired free. I believe she said that she paid like $2,000 for this laptop, not exactly sure, though. Thanks again, Mike