Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipad: Any of you have one of these?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Ipad: Any of you have one of these?

I am tempted to get one... but I wonder what I would use it for?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I'm using an Iphone3GS but couldnt convince myself to fork out the price for a big Itouch.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I had to check them out because of work, but there are mixed feelings. It is either a love it or hate it relationship.
    I would recommend to wait until version 2. From most of what I can see, it is an expensive ebook reader , and web browser.
    HP should be launching the slate which will have Windows 7.
    Probably it won't be as touch friendly, but you will be able to do more.
    I personally would prefer a netbook, which is cheaper, and stick to my regular PC to watch videos. But then I don't travel, so really I have no need for a laptop or mobile device

I think it looks slick but not something I must have. But as I love to read having an e-reader and web browser would be nice. I just don't know if it wouldn't wind up not being used...

my girl was looking at e-readers and thru her research I think the sony one seems to be the best bang for the buck.

I think this one has the best bang for the buck.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

EFC thats an awesome one too I dont think it was out when we were researching them.

It was just released this past week. The $250 price is awesome.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

If you had to choose between an Ipad/Nook/Kindle and a full on laptop or notebook computer... which would you go for and why?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I would go for a laptop. I have an Asus laptop and the battery last 6 hours on light web surfing. I can still play video games, connect remotely to work, watch dvd, and online videos (if they don't pass 720p). My laptop has a Dual Core 2 Duo T6600. It is heavier to carry around, but since I need to have remote connectivity for work, I don't see the use of a ebook reader or ipad. I can also do light gaming on the laptop (currently torchlight)

Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25 View Post
    I would go for a laptop. I have an Asus laptop and the battery last 6 hours on light web surfing. I can still play video games, connect remotely to work, watch dvd, and online videos (if they don't pass 720p). My laptop has a Dual Core 2 Duo T6600. It is heavier to carry around, but since I need to have remote connectivity for work, I don't see the use of a ebook reader or ipad. I can also do light gaming on the laptop (currently torchlight)
    These are all very valid reasons for choosing a laptop over these other portable devices.. anyone else have a reason for choosing the portable devices over the laptop?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Laptop 1, Ipad 0

Although, we really haven't seen any killer apps for the Ipad just yet... but wait till your street-directory app, interactive e-reader app, and portable x-ray/lingerie app comes out

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Hey Boogs and the gang

Been reading the posts over the last couple days man really really nice to have you back. Usually when I get off work I browse the net in bed using the wireless mouse so I haven't replied to some of these posts out of sheer lazyness lol.

+1 on the Ipad. I think the lightweight slim and vibrant color is tough to beat for anyone that just wants to lounge around and talk to friends and casual surfing and purchases online. It is really going to be huge if they can add a nice charging dock for the kitchen folks and add a web cam so family can chat and see each other in the kitchen and play Bingo ro cards together share pictures etc.. is what it's all about.

Sure a laptop does that and more but you have to open it up and it's bulky where this thing can sit on the table and beep when the son calls to say hi! or you can display cooking recipes while listening to music cooking..

I'd love one for the bathroom during those heavy pushing times when a good pdf will pass the time hehe..

seriously when you think how big webtv was and this thing if they can achive the push one button and shop play call friends etc... would be huge in today's middle to lower tech market household.

typing a reply to an email or video chat is a breeze with the on screen keys.

In a work place this kills a a bulky touch screen laptop as long as the program can do what you need. It is sooo slim and lots of battery life. I can see major uses in business where this would be the one to get.

The price needs to come down to around $300 and that Grey screen kinder is a joke for $450 lmao

my 2 cents

Cheers
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by egghead View Post
    Hey Boogs and the gang

Been reading the posts over the last couple days man really really nice to have you back. Usually when I get off work I browse the net in bed using the wireless mouse so I haven't replied to some of these posts out of sheer lazyness lol.

+1 on the Ipad. I think the lightweight slim and vibrant color is tough to beat for anyone that just wants to lounge around and talk to friends and casual surfing and purchases online. It is really going to be huge if they can add a nice charging dock for the kitchen folks and add a web cam so family can chat and see each other in the kitchen and play Bingo ro cards together share pictures etc.. is what it's all about.

Sure a laptop does that and more but you have to open it up and it's bulky where this thing can sit on the table and beep when the son calls to say hi! or you can display cooking recipes while listening to music cooking..

I'd love one for the bathroom during those heavy pushing times when a good pdf will pass the time hehe..

seriously when you think how big webtv was and this thing if they can achive the push one button and shop play call friends etc... would be huge in today's middle to lower tech market household.

typing a reply to an email or video chat is a breeze with the on screen keys.

In a work place this kills a a bulky touch screen laptop as long as the program can do what you need. It is sooo slim and lots of battery life. I can see major uses in business where this would be the one to get.

The price needs to come down to around $300 and that Grey screen kinder is a joke for $450 lmao

my 2 cents

Cheers
    egg,
    I get you man on the ease of you use and definitely agree with the price needing to come down, but I am still wondering when I would use it in my daily life. Usually I am connected to a PC by keyboard and need that for fast typing and so on.. but a tablet doesn't offer that sort of thing.. I guess I could lug around a wireless keyboard but that'd be odd...

I just don't know about these devices... maybe if I got one I'd be ready to use it and find a way to mix it up in my life... but for now I just don't see the need.

but it is cool and if I had the cash perhaps I would buy one.

I agree that the ipad is a bit impractical if you already own an ipod touch or iphone. However, I do see it being used very much as a family oriented communication tool/device as egghead mentioned already in this thread. Also, I know they're going to be used for healthcare as a friend of mine told me they're already starting to show up in the hospital he works at....replacing the regular charts doctors and staff use. They could also become a 21st century teaching tool for school as well. As for myself......I'll wait until the price lowers and the functionality increases