Advanced Micro Devices is trying to beat Intel on price with its latest six-core desktop Phenom II X6 processors that were unveiled today.

AMD is shipping two X6 processors that are substantially less pricey than Intel's latest six-core Core i7-980XM desktop processor, which was announced last month. The Phenom II X6 1090T processor runs at 3.2GHz and is priced at $295, while the 1055T, which runs at 2.8GHz, is priced at $199. Intel's Core i7-980XM desktop processor is priced at $999, according to a price list on Intel's Web site.

The X6 chips are targeted at gamers and buyers looking for high-performance desktops, said Adam Kozak, platform marketing manager at AMD. The chips are the fastest yet in AMD's desktop processor lineup.

Kozak admitted that Intel's Core i7-980XM chip will be faster on some threaded applications, but buyers may get more bang for the buck with AMD's six-core offerings. Buyers will be able to configure high-end gaming desktops at prices equaling the cost of Intel's chip alone.

Full story: Computerworld