Thread: First human 'infected with computer virus'

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

First human 'infected with computer virus'

A British scientist says he is the first man in the world to become infected with a computer virus.

Dr Mark Gasson from the University of Reading had a chip inserted in his hand which was then infected with a virus.

The device, which enables him to pass through security doors and activate his mobile phone, is a sophisticated version of ID chips used to tag pets.

In trials, Dr Gasson showed that the chip was able to pass on the computer virus to external control systems.

If other implanted chips had then connected to the system they too would have been corrupted, he said.

Dr Gasson admits that the test is a proof of principle but he thinks it has important implications for a future where medical devices such as pacemakers and cochlear implants become more sophisticated, and risk being contaminated by other human implants.

Full story: BBC News

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Once again, with feeling and 5-part harmony: "There'll always be an England."

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    A bit misleading, as the implant didn't actually control anything inside the body... he just ran out of pockets for his swipe card.... that's like saying I've infected 16million servers because i sent the 'loveBug' virus from my phone in my pocket.

Now, if he had a bionic arm, and the virus made him jerk it uncontrollably... that would be 'scientific' and absolutely hilarious to watch!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Looks like it is time for ccleaner. We all know what the "c" refers to.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    A bit misleading, as the implant didn't actually control anything inside the body
    Don't be picky.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========