Thread: Network DNS Disappearing

Network DNS Disappearing

One of our computers at my fire station (Using Windows Vista) ocassionlly looses its connection to the internet but remain connected to the network.

I fond the problem one day when I went in to the network connections and choose properties then Internet Protocol Version 4 I noticed the DNS were cleared out (both of them) I have them manually set rather than automatic because when it was on automatic there would be a coflict withour coper / scanner on the network (but it has been like this for a over a year and this new problem just started about a month ago)

I replaced the DNS (used #'s I found on another pc on network) and internet service came back just fine. But unfortunately this has happened 2 more times in the last month.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing the DNS entries to vanish?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    try this command from a cmd prompt "netsh interface ipv4" without the quotes of course. This will reset the TCP/IP stack then you can reset it to static.
    Last edited by phishhead; August 3rd, 2010 at 20:00 PM.

OK I did that and it resulted in a menu of items...dump, help, install, reset etc.

Should I choose a specific one?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    reset sorry

Ok did the reset command - restarted and had no internet connection - went into the connection and the DNS Fields were filled in properly but I had to fill in the PC's IP Address and default Gateway. Once I did that connection to the internet was established.

I did track down the problem though ... well sort of. Today I did a restart of the pc and when it restarted ... no internet (appeared as Local Connection only)

I went into the network connection and the DNS was blank again. So it appears this happens every time the computer restarts.

Any idea what in a computer reboot might be making the DNS disappear?