Thread: Router Speed

Router Speed

Got a new computer after my old one crashed - the old one internet speed was also pretty slow - New computer has Windows 7 and it seems as if the internet access is just as slow as old computer if not slower.

I am using DSL with a wireless router (but this computer connects to router via Ethernet Cable) The Route is a Linksys Wireless B 2.4 Ghz - could this be the problem as it is pretty old?

Also as a follow up when I went into the properties tab of my internet connection it is showing....

IPV 4 Connectivity: Internet
    IPV 6 Connectivity: No Network Access
    Media State : Enabled
    Speed: 100 MBps

The key information that you left out is the speed of the DSL connection you are paying for. To test your connection speed go to one (or both) of the links below to test it.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

http://speedtest.net/
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Just tested it the download speed was 0.88 Mb/s and the upload speed was 0.28 Mb/s

Next step is to find out what you are paying for. There is always overhead in any connection. You can never get the full purchased speed. For instance, I am paying for 3 gig service. When testing my speed, I usually get 2.6 Mbps down and .51 Mbps up.

In your case, if your isp speed is 1 gig down, you are probably doing as good as is possible. If, on the other hand your isp is supposed to be providing you with 1.5 gig down or faster, you should get in touch with the isp tech support section and insist on some help.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you tried rebooting both the modem and the router?