Thread: Belkin Wireless Adapter Installation

Bronze Member

Belkin Wireless Adapter Installation

Hi

I'm trying to install my Belkin Wireless Adapter onto my desktop, which is on a different floor to the router.

According to BT, I need to install the Belkin drivers. I went through this with Belkin Tech Support and we got an error code -2, which the lady said meant that I was lacking some Dell drivers.

When I try and install the Belkin drivers now, I get the message 'The InstalShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified'.

I have gone into C:\Programme Files\Common Files\InstallShield and deleted the Engine and then downloaded it again from the internet and installed it on my desktop.

However, when I run the drivers I still get the same error message.

I am using Windows Service Pack 3, I looked for Hotfix Q328310 to see if I needed to disable it, but it's not there.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you very much in advance.

This is taking the now... sorry I just wanted to use that smilie... nothing like a bit of toilet humour to cheer myself up when I've spent about two hours on the phone to BT and Belkin.

Could use some more information. Is your OS, XP w/sp3? Assuming that it is, following comments apply.

I have been successful configuring wireless to XP and Vista. I have not been successful configuring wireless to my linux computer. In trying to overcome the linux issue, I have purchased three three different brands of usb wireless (n) adapters. Here is what I have learned. All three installed easily to the XP computer and two of the three installed without issue to the Vista machine. I didn't try to install the third adapter to this machine since it was purchased solely for the Linux machine. The reason I provided the above info is to state that I did not have to install a driver on XP or Vista for any of the wireless adapters. They were already present.

Here is what I would suggest. Take that computer to a location close to the router and plug the adapter in. If distance is an issue, this will overcome it. If you still can't connect, attempt a repair of XP using the installation disk, and install updates. Now attach wireless adapter and create a connection to router.

Here is a detailed with images of a wireless setup in XP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Could use some more information. Is your OS, XP w/sp3? Assuming that it is, following comments apply.

I have been successful configuring wireless to XP and Vista. I have not been successful configuring wireless to my linux computer. In trying to overcome the linux issue, I have purchased three three different brands of usb wireless (n) adapters. Here is what I have learned. All three installed easily to the XP computer and two of the three installed without issue to the Vista machine. I didn't try to install the third adapter to this machine since it was purchased solely for the Linux machine. The reason I provided the above info is to state that I did not have to install a driver on XP or Vista for any of the wireless adapters. They were already present.

Here is what I would suggest. Take that computer to a location close to the router and plug the adapter in. If distance is an issue, this will overcome it. If you still can't connect, attempt a repair of XP using the installation disk, and install updates. Now attach wireless adapter and create a connection to router.

Here is a detailed with images of a wireless setup in XP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702
    Thanks, it's XP. Will see if I can get someone to carry the desktop downstairs. Thing was it used to work with the old BT modem, then that got faulty and BT sent a new one and now it doesn't work.

Thanks for your advice.

LB