Thread: Horizontal shadow on computer display

Exclamation Horizontal shadow on computer display

Alright, I have a HP S5510Y desktop computer with a HP 2010i 20inch monitor. I recently hooked up my 42 inch LCD HDTV to my computer. The way I did this was I took a VGA splitter so I could hook up two monitors at the same time. Then I took a HQ VGA to VGA cable and hooked it up to my television. Now the resolution is screwed up and there are horizontal shadows on the display. The driver my display is using is the "Generic Non-PnP Monitor." If it helps anyone, my video card is a "Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430." I have the drivers and software installed for this video card. The reason I got the VGA splitter was because my desktop won't allow me to install a second video card due to all the hardware I have in it. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 3Gb of ram and a 2.8Ghz AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor. Both the monitor and the LCD HDTV have the shadow. Really what's happening is there is a dim shadow directly next to everything on both the lcd and the monitor. The monitor is set to handle 1600x900 resolution at maximum. The LCD HDTV (model number DX-L42-10A) is set to handle 1920x1080 at it's maximum (at least I'm guessing that since it automatically suggested and set it). I don't mind using simply 1600x900 for both but when I tried it said unsupported resolution on my lcd and the shadows were still there. I know the refresh rate of my monitor is 60Hrz. I'm not sure about my television. How do I make it so both the LCD and the monitor work without the shadows? I know my computers video card is not set to handle two monitors but I'm sure it's possible.
    Last edited by armydude13090; August 17th, 2010 at 04:25 AM. Reason: entered wrong desktop model number, corrected.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Install the manufacturers drivers for your monitor. What model is it?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

All drivers are currently installed and updated. And the monitor is a HP 2010i 20inch monitor

You said your monitor is listed as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor". That means it is using the windows drivers.

Try these HP drivers
    HP 2010 Series LCD Monitor Driver

True. The reason it's using the Windows driver is because I have the VGA splitter hooked up and two different monitors hooked up to it. The first is my HP 2010i 20inch monitor and the second is my 42in LCD HDTV model number DX-L42-10A. Since two displays are hooked up to one video card the computer doesn't know what type of monitor is hooked up and so uses the generic non pnp driver. What I'm trying to figure out is if both displays have a common resolution that can be used at a common refresh rate so no horizontal shadows are visible.

The Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 is an onboard graphics chipset (not a dedicated card), which looking at the specs does not fully support 2 displays.

I think your only option is to install a PCI-e card that has 2 outputs. When you say your desktop won't allow you to install a second card what exactly do you mean? Limited internal space? Could you not use a riser.

I have a wireless card and a HD audio card installed in the two available PCI-e ports. What I plan on doing, since no other way seems to work, is get a usb wireless card and replace the current one with the video card. Thanks for the help and information.