Thread: Laptop Will boot not boot up on first attempt

Laptop Will boot not boot up on first attempt

OK, I have a friends laptop IQON M66SE (which I believe is same as Clevo M660SE). Running Windows XP SP3. Reformatted hard drive and fresh install of XP, all updates applied. Tested hard drive with Hitachi hard drive fitness and it passed all tests. Tested RAm with memtest86 and all tests passed. Inside laptop is clean as a whistle, no dust in sight.

OK, here is the problem:

Press power button, power light comes on, I can hear the CD drive click into life, but then nothing at all, no sound no life, just the power light. Switch off by holding down power button. Press down power button again and this time it boots up. It sometimes takes more than two attempts to get it to power up. Then seems to work fine (although the owner did say that sometimes it stops with blank screen after several hours....although I have not found this). This problem is the same with or witout battery in.

Could it be BIOS problem? HD is first boot device. At any rate Clevo seem to be the one manufacturer that do not provide links for BIOS updates and I have failed in any attempt to find them on the net.

Could it be a poorly seated processor?

Please help, I'm clutching at straws here.

Try to boot using Safe Mode. Do this by taping the F8 key when the computer begins the boot process. If you are successful then do a system restore.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Try to boot using Safe Mode. Do this by taping the F8 key when the computer begins the boot process. If you are successful then do a system restore.

Many thanks for the suggestion, but this is not the problem. It is not even getting to the point where pressing F8 is an option. At any rate, the HD has been wiped reformatted and a fresh install of XP applied and then updated. The problem is still there. Given the early nature of the problem in the whole startup process, I'm surmising that it is either a BIOS or hardware problem and I can't find the BIOS update for this machine as Clevo do not provide links on their site and I have searched the net far and wide to no avail.

Regarding the problem itself, I found one link that suggested it may be a problem with the seating of the processor. I was looing to see if anyone else had any ideas?

Thanks again.

Do you receive any beep codes when you turn on the laptop?

It will take a long time if I continue to ask you a question, then wait for an answer before we hopefully start repairs.

I think that a loose cpu is unlikely. While it might turn out to be the problem, I would put it near the bottom of my list of possible causes.

My list of possible causes:

- memory stick
    - cpu fan
    - power supply
    - video
    - bad or missing driver
    - bad cpu
    - motherboard

I know that you have already attempted to isolate the cause by checking memory, drive etc. I would suggest that, assuming you have more than one stick of memory, try to boot after removing one stick. If it boots, you know you have a bad stick of memory or it was not seated properly. If it doesn't boot, attempt the same using the other stick of memory. You should also attempt to listen for both the cpu and power supply fan. This may not be possible to do without cracking (removing) the case.

Link to a good tutorial on troubleshooting a laptop. http://www.daileyint.com/hmdpc/repair.htm

Thanks again. I know it isn't the RAM have tested as suggested and with another stick from another machine (compatible). Not drivers as only minimal operating system on there and I downloaded the latest drivers...all OK.

Will take a closer look at the others on your list and the link.

p.s. No beep codes
    p.p.s. Thanks again for the assistance

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try one of the 2 BIOS downloads from this post

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    Try one of the 2 BIOS downloads from this post
    Many thanks for the link Rev. Will keep you all posted.

Finished

OK, took me a long time to get spare parts to attempt to narrow down the problem (didn't particularly want to go out and get new parts when not sure what the problem was).

After exhausting all other possibilities, I am left with conclusion that it must be the motherboard.

Once again, I would like to thank you all for your help.