Thread: System restore is unable to protect your computer

Bronze Member

System restore is unable to protect your computer

I was given a new iPod, which I was charging from my PC. Suddenly my laptop froze and the screen turned pink. I had to switch it off and on. It took an age to start up again.

I stopped charging the iPod, but the screen froze again. I'd only this morning done an AV in safe mode, so tried to do system restore. I got the following message:

'System restore is unable to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and run system restore again.'

I restarted but it still didn't work. I tried to do it in safe mode, but it won't go to safe mode.

Any suggestions please!

Thanks.
    Last edited by LouBee; January 22nd, 2011 at 16:05 PM.

I think you are looking at having to re-install Windows. That is unless you are lucky enough to know someone with a copy of SpinRite. If you don't, you will have to decide whether the $89.00 price for SpinRite is worth it. I consider it a "must have" item in my computer tool kit.

So what does it do, this is from a review from Kickstart news:

"The opportunity for the first test appeared only one day after we received our copy of version 6. An 80GB hard drive on one of our busy storage servers decided to pack it in. Prior to trying SpinRite we were still able to access the drive intermittently but it was impossible to copy data or run a file undelete utility. A handful of important files had been written to the drive subsequent to the last backup the previous night; files which we needed within about 48 hours, which meant that a professional data recovery service (with its three week backlog) was out of the question. We removed the drive and installed it in an identical hardware configuration, then booted SpinRite 6 from CD and did a Level 2 recovery (see above for recovery level definitions). After 22 hours, SpinRite completed its work and pronounced the drive fully recovered. We reinstalled the drive in the original server. It ran perfectly, the research assistant who had created the required files copied them off the drive and that was that. Nice job SpinRite 6. The drive was still running fine as we went to publication with this review two weeks after the incident. We used a level 2 setting in SpinRite: Recover Unreadable Data.
    "

There are many SpinRite reviews on the internet. Check them out.

If your PC doesn't have critical files, photos, music, videos, etc., then I recommend a clean re-install. If you nave "must-save" files on that machine then consider purchasing SpinRite. It is purchased here (http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm). It is a small download which takes just a minute to accomplish. You will then follow simple instructions to create a self-booting disk. Regardless which what you decide, "good luck"
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    What OS are you using?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    Thanks.

I'm using XP.

I managed to restart in safe mode and tried to do System Restore there, but got the same message.

My XP is all up to date. I've done Malware, AntiVir: no problems there.

Thanks.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    You will need to have your Windows XP CD.

Insert it and then follow these steps.

Go to Start > Run

In the run box type rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %Windir%\Inf\sr.inf (you can copy and paste this into the run box)

Hit enter.

Click on Browse and navigate to your Windows CD and select one of the following directories. Either \WINDOWS\Inf\i386\ or \i386\ depending on your CD structure.

Double click the SR.sys file and this will copy over the required system restore files.

When the files have copied over reboot your machine.

System Restore should hopefully now be functioning correctly.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    Thanks Rev, system restore has been returned... however, there's another problem which I'll post separately.