Thread: Linux Mint Support via IRC

Linux Mint Support via IRC

I finally experienced a problem that a Google search and a little research on the forum proved inadequate. I had a system package that refused to upgrade to newer version. Since it was a critical system package, that meant finding a solution or a OS reinstall.

Mint maintains chat support via IRC. I have never had much luck chat room support, but decided to give it a try. There were a number of surprises. The first occurred when "XChat IRC" was started. Using MSN daily, I expected to have to establish an account and obtain a password. Instead the chat package opened in the Mint Support Chat Room. Within seconds a prompt appeared asking about my problem. In less than a minute, there were three command prompt suggestions from three different people. Then there was a suggestion as to which to try first, then second, then third.

I opened a terminal and typed the first command which did not correct the issue. Then I tried the second command. The icon on the panel changed to indicate that the system was up to date. From beginning to end in about 3 minutes. Can't say enough good about these guys.
    Last edited by efc; February 1st, 2011 at 21:00 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition