Thread: xp freezes

xp freezes

Using a Toshiba A35,Sometimes it starts up and then when the xp Home Edition logo with the moving ball opens it just keeps on moving and nothing else happens. Sometimes I get the message that windows shut down wrong and I then start up normally, it goes thru its motions and then a warning, PXE E61 media test failure, check cable. and then shut down. I hear the Harddrive moving. I note the bios is 1.30 and updates to 1.80 are offered, but unless I get xp going I cannot get the bios updated. I tried using the Toshiba recovery disc that came with the computer which goes thru, but does not help the start up freezing or the PXE warning. Any suggestions?

Have you tried a system restore?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Couple of things to try:

• Enter the BIOS setup and check that the HDD is the first device in the boot order.

• Boot into safe mode and run system restore.

• This might sound extreme, but try shutting the laptop firmly a couple of times.

• The HDD could be faulty.

Some other solutions here:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Solve...ck-cable-Error

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1...edia-test.html

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I have tried the system restore disc several times and it goes thru its motions but does not help. And the HDD is the boot first. Now there seems to be more problems. The message window that windows has shut down wrong, will not let me choose the safe mode, just keeps timing down to start normally. and goes on until the Xp starts and then freezes. Thanks for all the ideas. I really think fixing this computer is not to be. So will just spend the time and money on a new PC up to date and such.