Thread: HD4350 & Asus Falcon II conflict?

Red face HD4350 & Asus Falcon II conflict?

Hi All

I installed a Radeon HD4350 into a PC (HP m7177a) running XP MCE: now I get 2 occurrences of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio, with the 1st one being unable to start and having an exclamation mark. Often when I shut down or restart Windows, it crashes to a BSoD giving an error for PCI.SYS. If I uninstall the UAA driver with the exclamation mark, the crashes don't happen, but it reinstalls itself next boot & the problem recurs. It would appear that there is some sort of HDMI audio built into the HD4350, even though it has no audio out port of any sort, the 4350 only having VGA, DVI & S-Video out ports. There appears no way to manually change the IRQ or anything on either version of the installed UAA driver. If I disable the UAA driver with the exclamation mark, it just re-enables on next boot. My thought is that the HDMI in the video card is "fighting" with the Falcon II video capture card, since taking out the 4350 makes the problem go away.

I tried installing the HDMI driver for this card from the AMD website, but nothing changed. I tried to force Windows to use the HDMI driver I download by manually pointing it there, but it just came up with the old folder doesn't contain a driver suitable for your hardware message.

At this point I'm resigned to having to ditch the Falcon capture card, as the 4350 is streets ahead of any of the other cards I've got lurking about for this PC, and the Falcon is a bit long in the tooth. Would be nice to be able to get them to play together, as the radio tuner on the Falcon would be very handy.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Looks like you've tried everything.

Simple answer is to ditch the Falcon.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Amazingly, I heard back from an email I sent to HP. They suggested "It seems the HDMI audio driver for the graphics card is conflicting with the integrated Intel High Definition(TM) audio (Azalia) with Realtek ALC 880 chipset and hence you are facing the issue." It's the only possibility I hadn't considered. Sure enough, if I take the Falcon out & leave the HD4350 in, I get the conflict. Who would have thought?

So here's a question: why has the 4350 got HDMI sound with no HDMI port, and is there some way to use that HDMI instead of the on-board sound? My thought there is to switch off the on-board sound & find some way to "pipe" the sound via the 4350's HDMI sound to the speakers. Alternatively, and perferably, does anyone know how to switch off the HDMI sound?

Ta.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Island_Boy_77 View Post
    Alternatively, and perferably, does anyone know how to switch off the HDMI sound?

Ta.
    There should be an option via Control Panel > Sound Audio Devices. (set the onboard device as the default)

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========