Thread: Blue screen of death... Bugcheck?

Bronze Member

Blue screen of death... Bugcheck?

Hello

My laptop has blue screened a few times in the last two days. The error messages are as follows. Can anyone help me resolve them please?:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x86a37208, 0x86a37354, 0x81e2ea60). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0x93c4edb4, 0x00000000, 0x81e846d5, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0x88967b40, 0x8896783c). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8bf161c4). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x81e18521, 0xc823c774, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x0000110b, 0xe3514a80, 0x00720064). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c5 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x81d07010). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

BTW, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum. If not, please could the moderators move.

Thanks.

LouBee

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Loubee have you added any hardware to the laptop? (memory, usb hard drive or other usb devices)
    What version of Windows are you running?
    you can try to run chkdsk from the cmd prompt or by right clicking the harddrives and going to properties then tools I believe. Also try running sfc /scannow from the run box to check for corruption in the system files. you will need the windows install cd( XP, Vista, Win7 cd)

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    Loubee have you added any hardware to the laptop? (memory, usb hard drive or other usb devices)
    What version of Windows are you running?
    you can try to run chkdsk from the cmd prompt or by right clicking the harddrives and going to properties then tools I believe. Also try running sfc /scannow from the run box to check for corruption in the system files. you will need the windows install cd( XP, Vista, Win7 cd)

Hi phishead

Thanks for your response. I've not added any hardware to the laptop.

I'm running on Vista.

Unfortunately, I don't have a windows install disk, but I'll try and get one off someone.

Thanks.

LB

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    First thing to do is run in Safe Mode. This should eliminate either a driver or hardware issue.

If in Safe Mode the problem persists that would probably point towards a hardware issue. Bad RAM or CPU.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    Hi Rev

I ran both in safe mode and chkdsk said 0 bad files.

The sfc / scannow just ran quickly and nothing happened.

Thanks.

Bronze Member

What do these two messages mean?

Hello

I'm still having the blue screen of death problems with my laptop. I'm using Vista.

The messages I receive are:
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

and

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

I've searched on google and I can't make head or tail of the explanations, so I thought I'd come back on here and beg someone to explain in plain simple English.

Thanks.

I am assuming that both of these error messages are related. Fix a single problem and both messages should disappear.

The Microsoft "TechNet" provides a likely fix for one of your error messages.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

User action:
    This Stop message usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, either main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM). If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owners manual for your computer. Another cause of this Stop message is the installation of a buggy system service. Disable the service and determine if this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows 2000 Advanced OptionsLast Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time. Antivirus software can also trigger this Stop message. Disable the program and determine if this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update. A corrupted NTFS volume can also generate this Stop message. Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. Restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between the SCSI controller and the disk. Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it. For more troubleshooting information about this Stop message, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/support.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Bronze Member
    Thanks.

The only 'new hardware' I've started using recently is a Logitech mouse. Nothing else has changed.

The new software I've added is avast and malware.

Nightmare!!!

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by LouBee View Post
    Thanks.

The only 'new hardware' I've started using recently is a Logitech mouse. Nothing else has changed.

The new software I've added is avast and malware.

Nightmare!!!

Thanks for your help.
    Before you go further, be sure to eliminate memory as the problem. Test it one stick at a time.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Before you go further, be sure to eliminate memory as the problem. Test it one stick at a time.
    OK thanks. I'm not very good at these sort of things, so have to beg a neighbour or friend to come and help .

You don't need the neighbor's help. It is a simple thing to accomplish. The process is the same as installing new memory. There are many instruction sources on the internet. I am providing a link to www.Kingston.com.

It is important that power is not on when this is done. That is why they say turn power button off and unplug the computer. It is also a good idea to touch the inside metal of the case to eliminate static charge when you touch the electronic components.

Then do the following:

1. Remove left side cover of your PC.

2. Lay computer on its side so that you can access the internal components from above.

2. Locate memory. Your computer will have one to four "sticks" of memory sticking up from the motherboard (illustration can be seen at the Kingston link, above).

3. Remove memory, one stick at a time releasing end retainers. Gently remove memory and then reinstall it by pushing it down into the memory socket. you will know when it is fully seated when the end retainers move to the lock position. Sometimes you will hear a click. Continue with each memory stick. Once completed, plug in power cord, turn on power and attempt to boot. You may find that this has fixed your problem.
    If problem remains, we will move to additional suggestions.

Bronze Member
    Ok, it's a laptop so is that fiddlier?

Thanks for your links and suggestions.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    These types of errors are typically either memory related or some new or updated driver that has some bugs....

Normally you have some stop codes etc 0x00008A etc and also after the page_fault you may have something like stdss.sys error.

Give those details as well to help narrow it down.

For the memory check, you may be saved from having to remove each stick, and just run MemTest86+ on the whole system.... if it passes then all is good, but if fails, then you'll need to do one at a time.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Rev can u merge her 2 threads?

These codes may indicate a failing piece of hardware, or driver error... lou do the blue screens usually happen when you wake the PC up from sleep-mode?

Run windows updates, and update all your drivers for video cards/motherboard and devices.

Also, i would start backing up all your photos/music/etc onto DVD or an external usb harddisk.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---