Thread: Desktop icons messed up

Silver Member

Desktop icons messed up

A friend sent me this email concerning her desktop icons. "Why would my desktop icons not fully appear as they did before? The icons are there but not as they should appear. Then when I click on one of them to open, I'm asked to make an association or tell computer how that program was set up before" She also says that she can see "adobe" on top of some of the icons. Any suggestions on what to tell her ? She has Windows XP. Many thanks, Mike
    Last edited by mike13; May 1st, 2011 at 22:41 PM.

Found this at tech-recipes.com.

Are you icons messed up? Here is the fix!

1. Go to your \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data directory
    2. Delete IconCache.db.
    3. Reboot and the file will be recreated, and should resolve any icon that was incorrectly displayed.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Silver Member
    efc---Thanks for the reply. I am going up to her place on Friday and will give it a try. For some reason I think there might be some virus or malware on the computer also, because of that Adobe thing she mentions. I will post back with the results, and if I need any more help. Thanks again, Mike

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    She has probably installed something from Adobe and inadvertently associated certain files to open with the program.

I know some people have had that happen when installing Photoshop.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Silver Member
    I have the computer. It seems like Adobe has taken over. Most of the icons on the desktop have the Adobe icon overlaid on them. When I try to open
    most things, I get a message that Adobe can not open the file for various reasons. I tried to go to Add / Remove programs, and I can't get there. I tried to do a System Restore, and I can't get there. I tried to run sfc /scannow, and I could not. Can't open CCleaner, Malwarebytes, MSE. etc. I always get the same message that Adobe can not open that file etc.
    I tried everything in Safe Mode and I still got the same message that Adobe could not open the file or program, whether it was Add/Remove programs, System restore, CCleaner, Malwarebytes etc. Need help here, or should I just wipe the computer and reinstall everything. Running XP Home. Many thanks, Mike

What Adobe program has she installed?

Silver Member
    Hi Reverend. Thanks for getting back. Adobe 9.4.3.231 is installed.
    A correction from my prior post. I said I get a message that Adobe can not open the file etc. most of the messages say that "Windows can not open the file etc. and several times it is rundl32.exe, but not always. I tried to get into the registry, and the message said Windows can not open this file regedit.exe It then asks if I want to go online to find a program to open it or something like that. if I say yes, it goes to that Windows File Association File site. but that does not help me, anyway. So, I can get on the internet.
    I can not even open Adobe. I get a message that Adobe Reader can not open sc.reader.ico because it is either not supported, or the file has been changed etc. ( for example it was sent as an e-mail and not correctly decoded). Hope this additional info. helps. Mike

Go here and update Reader to the latest version 10

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

Another option:

Download the exefix_xp.com utility and save it to the desktop.

Run the exefix_xp.com file. This should fix the file association in the registry.

If that one doesn't work, try this one xp_fileassoc.zip.

Unzip it to your desktop. Double click the xp_fileassoc.bat file to run it and follow the instructions.

Silver Member
    Rev---no luck on downloading the new Adobe 10, or the two options you suggested. . When I try to open any of the three, I sill get that message that Windows can not open the file etc. Mike

Open notepad and copy and paste the bold text between the lines into it and save the file as fixexe.reg.
    Double click the saved file to merge into the registry. Restart the PC.

----------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHand…
    @="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bf…

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]
    @="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\…
    @="%1" %*
    "IsolatedCommand"="%1" %*

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas…

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas…
    @="%1" %*
    "IsolatedCommand"="%1" %*

---------------------------------------------

Silver Member
    Hi Reverend..I am back after the holiday. Anyway, I can not open Notepad. When I try, I get this message "Adobe can not open notepad.exe because it is either not a support filetype, or the file has been changed (for example it was sent as an email, and not correctly decoded). I am going to install a NEWER version of Microsoft Word, because the current installed version also has that Adobe icon overlaid on it. Maybe if that install correctly, I will try a copy and paste of the above instructions you gave. Not sure if Word would work, but I guess it is worth a try. if not, I guess I just need to format and reinstall everything. This is scarry though...what if it happens again ?? She is pretty sure the problem started when she downloaded Adobe.Mike

Silver Member
    Well, That did not work either. I installed Word 2003, but when I tried to open it, I got the same message "Adobe can not open ....etc. I am just going to format and reinstall everything. Thanks for the suggestions ,Reverend, and efc.. Mike