Thread: Application Extensions hit by Virus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Application Extensions hit by Virus

Have a computer at my firehouse running Windows XP and had a virus on it - it was one of those window security viruses trying to get you to download their removal tool - had to start in safe mode and did a virus scan with Malwarebytes and it removed the virus along with 7 others.

When I did a restart I ran into another problem. The virus is gone (no more pop ups) but none of my application extensions work properly. Every time I try to open a program (firefox, Internet explorer, Word ...pretty much every program) I get a dialog box that pops up asking me which program to use in order to open the program.... even .exe files.

If I choose the program fromt he list or navigate to it's exe file int he program files it then opens the program ok but I cant even choose the option "Save this for opening program in the future" the checkbox is grayed out.

I attempted a system restore to an earlier time before the virus hit us but that didnt work either.

Anyone have any options I can try to get the application extensions working again?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Read the instructions on the page here.

Download the 'EXE File Association Fix' and run it.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks for the info - I did another scan with Malwarebytes (this time I did a full scan instead of a quick one) and now everything is working fine - gotta love that program