Thread: Bios update

Silver Member

Bios update

I am working on a friends Dell Inspiron 530, that is about 3-4 years old. I see there is a bios update on the Dell site for this computer. Is there anything confusing about downloading and installing this bios update. I thought I read in the past that it could be confusing, and you could totally mess up the computer. Suggestions, please. Thanks, and Happy New Year to everyone at Techzones !!!!

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    You can flash the BIOS via windows which is easier than via DOS.

The latest version for the 530 on the Dell site is 1.0.18 dated 2009. For the 530b it is 1.0.2 dated 2009. (make sure you download the correct one for the machine)

Which BIOS version are you currently running? Should show you the BIOS number on the boot screen.

Download from here to your desktop: http://downloads.dell.com/bios/530_1018.EXE (530) or http://downloads.dell.com/bios/530b-102.EXE (530b/530Sb)

Follow these instructions:

Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment

Double click the Icon on your desktop labeled 530_1018.EXE.The Update BIOS window appears

Click the Update button.The message Updating BIOS. Please DO NOT POWER OFF! appears. BIOS update will begin.

After BIOS update complete, the WinFlash window appears to tell you "Update successful". Click Yes button. The system will restart and the BIOS Flash will be completed.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Silver Member
    Reverend----Thanks for the reply. The Dell computer has bios version 1.0.12
    on it now, so I guess it is pretty outdated. I printed out the instructions you furnished, and will give it a try. Thanks, Mike

Silver Member
    Reverend--Success. I went into the Dell site with my service tag number and it said I needed the 530-1018. I downloaded it to my desktop and followed your directions. All seems well. I do not see the new bios listed 1.0.18 at startup like I saw the older bios listed. But I went into SETUP, and saw the new bios listed there. A piece of cake. Maybe I was thinking about the old DOS method. Anyway, many thanks, Mike

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    No problem.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========