Thread: Wireless portion of router does not work

Gold Member

Wireless portion of router does not work

I have a three year old Linksys WRT54GL router. When I first set it up three years ago, everything worked including the wireless. Shortly after that I ran ethernet cables and was NOT using the wireless. I have the router next to my main computer and the wife's compter is in another room. Both computers are connected to the router with ethernet cables, so I am not using the wirelss portion etc. Recently I wanted to use the wireless, and it does not work anymore. I remember this past summer I had a virus in my main computer and had to wipe the hard drive. I reinstalled Windows 7, and all other software, but since I was able to get on the internet, I never gave the router any thought. Must I reinstall the CD that I got with the wireless router to make the wireless portion work again, or doesn't that have anything to do with it. Thanks, Mike

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    You need to check the settings on the router to see if wireless is enabled.

Is the wireless LED on?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Gold Member
    Reverend, Thanks for the reply. On the front of the router I see the words WIRELESS-G, under that word is a led light and it is on, under that light, I see WLAN. I do not see any settings on the router itself to ENABLE it. I guess if that light is lite, it is enabled ?? Thanks, Mike

Try going to http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/wrt54gl and using the guide me tab. Try entering "can't start wireless on wrt54gl". It will provide a set of questions to locate your problem.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Do you want to use wireless on both machines?

If so, disconnect the ethernet cables and then reboot the machines. They should detect the wireless network upon the restart.

Sometimes a machine will default to a wired connection if it is connected by ethernet and will therefore not search for a wireless connection as well.

Worth a try.

Gold Member
    Additional info. My two computers that are WIRED work great, neither computer has a wireless card installed in the computer. I was trying to set up a wireless printer before Christmas and it did not work, so I just connected it to my main computer. Two days ago I fired up the older laptop
    that worked on WIRELESS three years ago. I kind of remember back then when I started the laptop (not wired) it found the wireless signal and asked me for the password or something. After I entered the password, the laptop worked with WIRELESS, no cables. Questions---I went into Device Manager on my main computer. I do not see the Linksys Router listed there anywhere. If I click on NETWORK ADAPTERS, I see BROADBAND NETLINK (TM) GIGABIT ETHERNET as the only item. Shouldn't I see the Linksys router listed someplace ? I was then going to do the ADD NEW HARDWARE thing, and have Windows look for the router, but I can't find the ADD HARDWARE thing in Windows 7.

efc--I will try your suggestion next, but wanted to add this additional info. first

Device mamanger is correct. The network adapter will show the controller type not the name of the actual router.

In the address bar type in 192.168.1.1. (hit enter)

Unless you have changed them the default username is left blank and password is 'admin'. From here you can check the router setup.

User guide here

Gold Member
    Thanks Reverend and efc for your suggestions. I found a great deal on a new Linksys E3000 at Newegg for $69.00 the regular price was like $170.00so I am just going to replace the 3 year old router with a new one. Question---should I look for and REMOVE or DELETE the old router first before I install the new router? Thanks, Mike

Should be ok to just setup the new one.