Thread: Stop:c0000 {Registry File Failure}

Angry Stop:c0000 {Registry File Failure}

My wife got this today on her E-Machine, Windows XP. "Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\config|Default or its log or alternative. It is corrupt, absent or not writable. Beginning dup of physical memory. I have the registry file backups in another location on her hard drive but it won't let me into safe mode with or without options. It just keeps rebooting.

Any ideas????
    Last edited by Rfarris39; July 12th, 2012 at 01:05 AM.

This problem is has been explained and corrective action provided at Microsoft Support. LINK
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I cannot get into safe mode to complete the actions suggested there. It won't boot from my recovery cd either. I have it in an external enclosure now but when I try to restore the registry back ups I can't tell it it is going to my computer or the enclosure because it does not specify which drive the files are being merged to.
    Last edited by Rfarris39; July 14th, 2012 at 01:38 AM.

Tap F8 key as xp begins the boot phase. A window should open that give you several choices. Select the option for safe mode. Providing this info from memory so hope I didn't forget something.

That is where I get to, I have tried all three safe mode options and it only reboots. Could it be a virus an not an actual registry issue?

I suspect a damaged registry. Here is another approach to fix the problem. http://www.windowsxpregistrycleaner....error-fix.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========