Thread: Network Satellite Internet Connection

Network Satellite Internet Connection

My next project is to network my two PC's behind a Direcway Satellite connection. Thinking it would be the same easy project you usually encounter, I purchased a router for the task. On unpacking the router, I realize that it cannot be used because the satellite modem connects to my PC via a UBS connection. I admit it, a true senior moment.

I've found one article on the net, however it is based on speculation not on experience. The article thought it could be done utilizing a inexpensive hub or switch, running TCP/IP to obtain an IP address automatically from a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server, then enabling ICS on the gateway PC.

If someone has already made this work, it could save me from making another dumb mistake.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Network problem

Just bought a Microsoft wireless kit.I ended up buying the base station,laptop adapter,NIC card,and a USB adapter.The problem is I have a USB satellite modem one way system with no ethernet connection,so the base station won't work as a ICS device.I tried connecting the NIC to the base station and installing the laptop adapter.The station was on an XP comp and the laptop is a W2k.In any event the software does not finnish installing the utilities,because it says it has been interupted, so I installed the hardware first and manually configured them.The XP computer crashed and I had to restore back from an image.Then I decided to just use the USB wireless adapter on my W2k desktop along with my W2k laptop and got the network functioning.My problem is I cannot figure out how to get ICS working.I go on line with the host but when I click the IE explorer icon from the laptop there is no connection.ICS is enabled on the host,what am I not getting here?First time networking for me also.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I have the same problem.Plus my appologies for posting about the same thing.I didn't scan the posts.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I found just the product for you.

It is a router that accepts direct USB modem connections, and lets you share that out with 4 ethernet connections:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2200usb.html

COuple images of this bad boy:

THE VIGOR PRODUCT WEBSITE

Here is their email:
    sales@seg.co.uk

Also here is the order form:
    https://www.seg.co.uk/secure/orderform.html

The price is 129 pounds excluding VAT. I think you will need to check on the price total since it is going to be for international shipping.

That should fit your ticket rather nicely.

BB

Originally posted by zipp51
    I have the same problem.Plus my appologies for posting about the same thing.I didn't scan the posts.
    Threads merged.........

Good find Booger. I am glad to see that there is a piece of hardware to do what is needed. It is pricy however.

With the price of CAT-5 routers down to $30, it will be hard for me to bite off that much expense. I may wait a while at see new products over the next few months.

I have bookmarked the Vigor site, just in case.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

It says on their site that it only works with certain modems of which Hughes DirecPC usb modem was not listed.However I wrote Vigor to ask what they thought.With limited knowlege about this I would think that the Microsoft base station could plug right in the back on the ethernet side and I could have my wireless setup.Thanks for the find Booger.Will post any correspondence with Vigor.

Here is Vigor's reply to my query.
    Hello,

No, our Vigor2200USB will not connect to the DirecPC
    system if it has a USB connection, sorry.

Regards,

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    SEG Communications Sales Dept.
    Tel : (0870) 745 8550 Fax : (0870) 745 8549
    http://www.seg.co.uk

There has got to be some solution for usb satellite modems.According to Direcway help files I just have to enable ICS on my host computer and this;"These instructions assume that your DIRECWAY system has a Network Interface Card (NIC) installed and the TCP/IP protocol is bound to the adapter". What does tcp/ip protocol bound to the adapter mean?Aren't wireless adapters doing the same thing as the NIC card?

Well, I thought it would work. Sorry about that.

As for the bound to the adapter:
    Bound simply means that the hardware adapter and software protocol have been connected so that they work together.

Have you disabled all the firewalls on your two systems? Both the XP built in firewall, and any third party?

That might be stopping you from sharing your internet connection with your other PC.
    BB

You could use the pc that the sat modem is connected. Add an ethernet card to it. Then use a proxy software like winproxy or one of the freeware solutions. Connect your hub to the ethernet card in the PC connected to the USB Sat Modem. Set the DNS and Gateway information the proxy software will do the rest.

If you like Linux you can set up a firewall/proxy/DHCP server to do this for you and connect the PCs to it via a hub. You could use an old P1 or even a 486 to do this.

1 switching 4 port hub 20.00 US
    2 10/100 ethernet cards 20.00 US (9.95 each)

The old PC who knows I saw some at the local college with an ethernet card for 10.00 US

I am so confused

Went to the big city today. Well Springfield , MO is big when you compare it to the small town that I live in. Went to several vendors that I have dealt with in the past.

Told them what I was trying to do. All said that they had dealt with the problem before yet none had a solution. Everyone thought that you ought to be able to use Windows network protocol and a twisted-pair CAT-5 cable. However, no one knows of a working system.

I thought that If I tossed this problem to the forum - someone would say I did it/with this equipment/and with this setup.

Thanks for all the coments. Have considered most suggestions. I don't mind spending some money to make this happen, however I don't want to without knowing it will work.

Thanks again.

FOUND YOUR SOLUTION, hopefully.
    Practically networked, a site a visit all too frequently when I have networking issues has a guide specifically targetted at the DirecPC user for networking:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/direcpc.htm

Hope that offers more insight into getting your connection networked.

And further, here is a link from DirecPC showing you how to get it done, using ICS:
    http://www.direcpc.com/customer/icsinstall.html
    BB

Here is the information from Directway themselves

http://directv.direcway.com/faq_ics_2.html

It is based on having the modem connected to one PC with USB and have the PC have an ethernet adapter.

check it out.

Thanks for all the info,guess I'll be doing some trial and error with the software and hardware.I'm going to return the Microsoft wireless hardware and go with Linksys as I have checked the prices and they are lower.I paid $324.Also,after reading the information I'm wondering if I could't get on line because I had dialed up and connected to the satellite on my host system and then tried to use my browser on my client system. Maybe I should have tried to dial up from the client.I made all the setting changes that DirecPC suggested on the sites you guys gave out early on.Sounds easier to do with a 2 way satellie system.
    Last edited by zipp51; January 14th, 2003 at 19:52 PM.

Thanks - I knew you would help me get to the answer.