Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XP Sudden Reboot

Twice now I've left my computer running overnight, with just Trillian running, only to wake up to a blue screen saying that Windows had to shut down and to reboot the computer.

Some of the text is:

SYMEVENT.SYS
    Adress ECC3FEF5 base at ECC32000 Date Stamp 3ecid807
    Beginning dump of physical memory dump
    Physical memory dump complete

There's also something about BIOS Updates and to check for and delete them or somthing like that.
    When I get the computer rebooted and logged in, it tells me to send an error report and the error is a driver malfunction.

(I got smart and printed it this morning):: Stop error caused by a device driver
    A device driver installed on you computer caused a stop error message. This error message required a restart of you computer.

I don't remember installing anything on my computer before the first time. After the first time, my brother told me to do a virus/adware/spybot scan and to do a Windows Update. I did and the Windows Update needed me to let it install something to check that I had a valid Windows Platform (right word?). Now the CPU usage and Page File Usage are through the roof.

All I do is Word, Internet (both IE and Firefox), Trillian, and Windows Media Player.
    Last edited by marspilot; November 19th, 2005 at 22:51 PM.

And now my computer has decided to make it look like a post was not posted and make me re-type the damn thing...
    Maybe I should let a friend put Ubuntu on this thing??