Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fragmento

Titanium Member

Fragmento

Hello group, I noticed that my PC is fragmenting quite a bit more than usual, in the last few days. It seems like it's slowing my computer down. It's most noticeable when trying to "save as" a photo/screenshot or trying to call up a photo using photoshop. Any recommendations?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Heeey-ya MisssTerrr Fragmento sorry reminded me of song...

And what does "fragmenting quite a bit more than usual" mean ???

Sounds like low Ram to me ?? check to see if all ram is reconized , open task manager click performance tab , now do your photo shop thing & see what it's doing on the graph in task man.

While I think of more things...maybe someone with answer will come by

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Have you tried clearing all contents of Temp folders?

C: Documents and settings>user>local settings>temp

C:Windows>temp

Titanium Member
    Well I did a disk clean then defrag. I just defragged a couple hrs ago. in fact I did 4 times today. Now I just did it again and it was very fragmented again!

Diskeeper has completed a defragmentation run on this volume and There were 6900 excess fragments before the defragmentation run , and now there are 78% less.)

The average number of fragments per file is 1.03.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What's your file system, FAT32 or NTFS? How long ago was your last reformat?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    That is quite a lot of fragmentation.. As Conan asks what file system are you running? Have you been installing new programs, downloading a lot of data, etc? That seems a bit excessive.
    Have you set up diskeeper's scheduler? You might consider it since you seem to be getting a lot of fragmentation.
    Just a thought.
    BB

Titanium Member
    This PC is only 7 months old. It's NTFS. I'm not DL any more than ususal. I defrag a few times a day. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but it seems like my PF usage is a little on the high side.

lynchnot

going on line will fragment your disc

conan, clearing the folder temporary folders does not lesson fragmentation, it increases fragmentation, as eliminating any data on the hardrive will cuase that fragment...

now, with ntfs, fragmentation will not cuase you any measureable and respectively noticeable degradation of performance unless your drive is about 85% full...what you are expeiencing as a performance problem is a differant issue then fragmentation.

as far as the actual defrag, here's some good information;

The defrag utility that comes with XP, a light version of diskeeper, does a fine job of bringing the fragments together, but it does not bring the files on your hardrive together.

in other words, there will be empty space on your harddrive,in between files, even though you defragment.

I don't have the link, but diskeeper has a free light version of their product, and with it, you can view the position of your files..for a free program, this is an excellent choice for those of you that can't afford to spend the amount of money an after market defrag program costs.

Now, Norton speed disc actually brings these files on your harddrive together, and when you are throughm all the information on your drive is contiguous, and less fragmentation occurs because of this contigous nature, as files can now in fact be added sequentially, however, when speed disc does perform this function, it does so with no file strategy, and the free space is simply occupied by your files...

IN ADDITION, NORTON ALSO CIRCUMVENTS THE XP FILEPLACEMENT STRATEGY, and moves the master file table and zone to the front of the disc...this is counter productive, as these files perform 10% faster towards the center of your informaition, so I don't recomend this utility.

now, perfect disc also not only defrags, but so too moves your files together contigously, BUT better...PERFECT DISC DOES NOT CIRCUMVENT THE XP FILE PLACEMENT STRATEGY, IT SPEEDS THE FUNCTION...perfect disc uses a very affective file strategy, and places the most used files in the most efficient area on your disc, as xp does...this includes the boot files.

Furtherm perfect disc performs these functions in one pass, as compared with multiple passes required by the other utilities that perform this file movementt function

this is an excellent program, and has a 30 day trial, written for XP, so you should give this perfect disc a go.

in addition, aftermarket utilities will also defrag the pagefile, as well as other system files which the native utility cannot do.

The cost of perfect disc is well worth the investment, however, let me admonish those of you that defrag everyday with ntfs.

no need, and unneccessary wear on your hardrive
    Last edited by perris; October 31st, 2002 at 16:04 PM.
    perris

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Good job perris

Maybe Lynch wore the arms out on the HD by defragmenting so much

I think it has something to do with the ram ???? or maybe the MFT is so large from all his install , un-installs that HD is going crazy trying to find things ????

here's a couple of great tools for those that can't afford an aftermarket defrag program, though I still recomend perfect disc;

the native utility does not allow a sceduled defrag, so I wrote a batch file that worlks in xp...the previous batchfiles did not work in xp;

ok, cut and paste this into notepad;

defrag.exe c: -f

name it whatever you want, with .bat at the end, and this will defrag the box using the native utility...you can schedule the .bat file to run whenever you want.

for those of you that partition, add the line again for as many drives as you have, of course, on each new line, change the letter "c" to the respective drives on your box.

diskeeperlite is a very good free derag program, and it will run on the batchfile that I just posted.

this free pagefile deffrag program...will defrag your pagefile...you only need to defrag the pagefile once, as once it's deframented, unless you add ram, or otherwise manually increase your pagefile, it is impossible for this file to fragment, once it is defragmented
    perris

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Lk get disk keeper and windows washer set disk keeper to do it like at 3am and when you wake up you got a freshly defragged drive.

Originally posted by FastGame

I think it has something to do with the ram ???? or maybe the MFT is so large from all his install , un-installs that HD is going crazy trying to find things ????
    well, to be honest, and I don't want anyone to get offended, but when it comes to computing, there is an incredible placebo affect;

when an expert tells us we will get a performance booste if we perform some particular task, we will all (85%) notice the performance gain, EVEN WHEN THERE'S A PERFIRMANCE HIT!!

interesting

anyway, I believe this is the affect here

now, here's some very interesting information concerning the mtf.

the master file table is ever increasing, and never ever deletes any information in the table, until the master file table zone is full.

the purpose of this;

xp creates a masterfile table zone, that other processes are restricted from using, and so, this mtf can be written in a contigous fassion.

if any mtf were deleted whenever you deleted a file, then that would circumvent this contigous writing strategy.

now, if you ever become short of disc space, xp will allow other files to access the area that was originally reserved for the mft.

xp is amazing, it gives the function of a private partition for the mft, without the restrictions that would have been associated with it...incredble os

BUT whenever you reformat, the mtf and zone is recreated, so that's the nly way TO reduce the mft
    Last edited by perris; October 31st, 2002 at 17:10 PM.
    perris

Titanium Member
    I have everything you guys mentioned. Diskeeper pro, boot de-frag., etc......Fastgame knows I have every imagineable utility out there! lol!
    Within a couple hrs. there will be massive fragmentation. It's sluggish calling for images and "save as" images.

PF usage is 350MB just viewing this page. (35 processes)
    Now with Photoshop on it's 420MB

Even after de-frag. images load very slowly.
    Last edited by lynchknot; October 31st, 2002 at 17:55 PM.

lynchnot, it sounds like you have a virus...I have 40 processes, 162 pagefile use.

run a scan, run adaaware, run spybot.

also, diskeeper pro does not have file optimization, which definately decreases fragmentation, though that's not theissue here, I'm sure.

after you discover where your memory leak is coming from, give "perfect disc" a go...this is the most effective defrag utility i have seen

now, if this is not a virus, you have a memory leak of some sort.

two things to try first...I would uninstall any recent programs, the ones that you installed right about the time this issue became a notice.

if that doesn't work, you should try a system restore.

if you'd rather do some legwork yourself, you can try a selctive startup, and trial and error the problem
    Last edited by perris; October 31st, 2002 at 19:41 PM.
    perris

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    correct me if I'm wrong but NTFS handles fragmented files differently then FAT32...so it might seemed very fragmented but infact it is not as bad as a FAT partition would be.