Thread: Nic

Talking NIC Tweak

Hello there

This is working very well for me so I wanted to pass it on. I went to the key and added the DWORD on 2 systems. The first one is on a P4 with RAMBUS and I saw better flow on the down loads. The second is on a P3 with 133 memory and MAN!!!!! This system went from wait, wait to BOOM, it is there! The setting that I use is ď1Ē to turn off the NIC processor and let the CPU do the work. I am on a cable modem and use a router, still very nice tweak. My NICís are Linksys........ And no I did not Guru this one; I just want to share it with my friends..............

Some of the new Network cards (I know one from 3COM has it) do providing capabilities of offloading some of the network protocol functionality like checksum from CPU. This is helpful since its free your CPU time and in a nutshell increases the CPU response time and overall speed by allowing CPU to do other jobs. It may not work on all cards of some of the cheap models but nothing wrong in giving it a try. To implement this tip, do as follows:

Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters] and look for the data key "DisableTaskOffload" and set its value to 0 to enable the task offload. By default if key is present, itís set to 1 to disable the task off load. If this tweak does not have desired effect, you can change it back to 1.
    For those who want to know more, Microsoft has an "http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/network/hh/network/209offl_0wdj.asp" on it.
    Last edited by Tinker; April 27th, 2002 at 08:57 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Tink,
    thanks for that one. I am going to give it a go tomorrow and post my results. I am in the middle of something or I would do it now!
    BB