Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emailing photos with OE

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by MarcoMendes
    Yeah right . But there is any way to preview the images with Microsoft Outlook ? ( like in Outlook Express ) ?

I've been searching around this... none tool works...

So that when people send me picture or any attachments, it will be automatically open and show in the preview panel?

Let say if someone send me 10 picture attachment, i have
    to double click on the attachment 10 times in order to
    view all the picture.

This is why I use Outlook Express instead of Outlook. Don't want to waste my time clicking on every single attachment.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Originally posted by Conan
    This is why I use Outlook Express instead of Outlook. Don't want to waste my time clicking on every single attachment.
    Does OE support contact managment and appointments?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    Does OE support contact managment and appointments?
    Nope.

Hmmm..that would be why I've tried it but didn't stick to it. I need somewhere to sync my phone's contacts and appointments for viewing from my pc (and as a backup).

Why are the pics so humongous? If they're that large would they even be seen fully in the whole monitor without scroll bars?

I've gotten a few that way and my question to my self has always been " Self, why are those pics so darn large?"

Raises another question too. If they're that large they're uhhhh....that large! I'll bet the KB's are up there giving some of the dial-ups a little time to make their coffee or tea while downloading.

Perhaps if the pics were shrunk to 'internet' size whereas they wouldn't have to do any scrolling................................then everyone would be happy. Well, almost everyone, AuntyB would have to do the 'shrinking'.

I'm with Thor. JPEGs at 800X600 (maybe even 1024X768) are much nicer for dial-up users and are generally still large enough to enjoy the picture.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    surely you could just email a quick Thumbnail style pic, maybe 300x300 and if the receiver really likes it, ie to Print or send to someone who will print it, you can send a full-size photo.

I had troubles with my scanned photos, they came out too big in size and filesize, so I just emailed small ones, and then sent BIG ones for the selected few.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Bronze Member

Thumbs up it worked- thanks

i am trying to email my friend some pictures and never thought to "right click" it and zip it and send etc.

since i have so many pictures- what is the best way to email them (group wise)???. i do not wish to email 40 pictures separately and individually.

any recommendations- i am using xp pro and outlook express 6 and earthlink and maybe the wireless isp/server.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    So if you want to email 40 pictures in one zip folder,
    just put them all in a folder, then right click the folder and zip it..

BUt remember, some accounts have a size limitation.. if it exceeds the size limits, it will bounce back as a failed delivery.

Another way you can do it,
    is create an account with:

http://www.villagephotos.com

Add all your pics.. I think they allow for up to 30 per account..

Then send them a link to your public album.. They can download them as they choose.

Yahoo and MSN have similar services.. called Online Photo albums..

That way you don't have to worry about them knowing anything special about how to download attachments, or unzip documents..
    The photos are built into the webpage and can be right clicked and saved that way.. very simple and easy.

Also if you send things over email sometimes they can be deleted on accident by strict spam filters etc...

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I agree with BB there are plenty of free web hosting offers out there and ftp programs.Once you learn to use the ftp for uploading your files and the hosting site for storage you won't do it any other way.Here is another free (25MB worth) hosting site.PortlandHosting
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Bronze Member
    the way i worked it out, there are about 40 pix. i could post them on a website of a friends but that takes a while.

so i did go to village photos, but there was a uploading conflict so forget that. i followed the instructions... maybe my brain is fried but still it was going to take some time.

i will try portland hosting and see what happens. if it has 25 mgs it is good for about 25 pix and again more time.

so i am thinking- take the easy way out-- burn the pictures and snail mail it.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi,

it sounds like the problem is the photo's are to big and not compressed.

You are probably trying to send the pictures that are straight from your scanner or digital camera.
    The problem is that your images need to be adjusted to be sent accross the internet.
    if you can only store 25 pictures on a 25 meg web account suggests to me that your pictures are 1 meg each.

this is wrong for sending and you need to resize the image and compress it so you can send it over the web.

your images should only be about 50kb max
    this would allow you to have 20 images in a 1 meg website.

your pics can be 30k to 80k but now you get the idea.

You should resize your image to 640x480.

save the file as a new file name so you can keep hte original picture for printing etc........

Here is a program that will resize and compress the pictures for you. It is shareware but it is a timed trial and says it is fully functional during the trial.

let me know if it won't save the pics and I'll find you one that can during a trial.

Quote:
    Image Optimizer Standard Edition
    The Standard Edition includes Resize, Digimarc Watermark, Caption, Crop, Sharpen, E-Mail and Scanner & Digital camera interface and a Batch Wizard for compressing multiple images.

Image Optimizer includes and builds on the technology introduced with JPEG Optimizer. You have complete control over GIFs and PNGs, by optimizing with regions.

There are two main modes of operation, 'Work with whole image' and 'Work with regions' .
    Many users will find that they get good results using 'Work with whole image' mode as this will enable them to produce compact images quickly and easily. Advanced users will want to use the 'Work with regions' mode so they can fine-tune the optimization process to achieve even smaller file sizes.
    A third mode, Batch Wizard allows you to optimize multiple files.

Image Optimizer gives the user complete interactive control of the entire optimization process, from changing compression settings to the ability to apply these to some areas of the image more than others.

http://www.xat.com/io/

keep us updated
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Bronze Member
    the pictures were transferred from a friend's cd- all different sizes

but i will look at the suggestions and get back with this in about two days or so.

this should be an interesting situation..

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Egghead grabbed the snail by the testicles with his response.

Villagephotos has some of the strictest requirements of any of the online services.

HTTP Upload
    Images Must Be GIF or JPG image files. If you have BMP, TIF, PNG, or other image type, you'll have to convert it to a GIF or JPG image using an image utility, or by re-saving it from the original application as a GIF or JPG. View our Help/FAQ page for details about file format conversion.

If you have are found to be uploading non-image files, intentionally disguised as image file types, your account will be subject to immediate removal.

ebay Note: In order for images to qualify for unlimited eBay use when you have a Plan B upgrade or higher, each image must be 60K or under!

Size Note: Free accounts are limited to 120K images. For all other account types, images must be under 3MB (3,000,000 bytes). For performance reasons, the upload process is also limited to 3MB at a time. If you have multiple images to upload that total more than 3MB, please upload them one at a time. If you need to reduce your image filesize for uploading, try searching on Download.com for "image compression" and "image editing", or try this utility. Contact us if this utility is no longer available.
    If you have the free account there is a strict limit. With a paid account the limits are a little less stringent,

Another service is the Yahoo! Briefcase. It allows up to 30MB and 5MB of data to be sent at 1 time. YOu can upload up to 6 files simulatenously, but the files must be smaller in total than the 5MB transfer limit.

I use this sometimes to share music Mp3s with my family, if I think they will enjoy a song or two.

The Yahoo Briefcase is already created when you sign up for Yahoo mail if you have already.

The Link to the Yahoo! Briefcase

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/

The Link to Yahoo! Mail

http://mail.yahoo.com

Hope that helps. Once you get used to it, uploading is 1000 times faster than snail mail..

Bronze Member

quick observation ---impressive

for the record, i burned the 40 + photos onto a CD and mailed them. there is only so many hours in the day and i want to sleep sometime <grin> and <yawn!!!>

but i also wanted to learn/use the Image Optimizer for future use. this was my quick observation and review.

it had a very easy tutorial to make it happen. i was shocked. my pix went from 86,000 bytes to 84,000 bytes. < i am yawning >

and then i wanted to see how to use the caption part- i learn how to place/use the caption but not how to enter/type the words and then i stopped. <now to go to do some serious snoring. ... grin>