Thread: Problem with File Explorer, Updates, and DVD player.

Silver Member

Problem with File Explorer, Updates, and DVD player.

Sometimes I have a problem opening, File Explorer, Updates and Security, and the DVD player won’t start when I put a DVD in it. If I click on File Explorer, it will eventually open maybe in a minute or two, but normally it opens instantly. I noticed that when this occurs, I also can not Update and Security. The page opens, but I can not open any of the items on the left side of the screen such as Windows Updates, Windows Defender, Backup , Activation, or For Developers. At this same time, if I open the DVD player and put a DVD in it, it will not open the program or whatever is on the disc. There may be other items that will not open / work, when this problem occurs, but these are the ones I notice. At this time, I CAN get on the internet with no problem, I can open Outlook 2016 and get my emails with no problem. It “SEEMS” like everything else works properly except these three items. The rest of the time the computer with Windows 10, runs great. It boots to the desktop in 25 seconds. It is a new Dell Optiplex with the I7 4790 processor. It came with Windows 8.1, but I did a clean install to Windows 10 back on Feb. 12th. When these problem occurs I check Task Manager, and everything looks OK there. It seems like this problem occurs the first hour or so after I start the computer, but not 100% sure of that. I have removed Malwarebytes Premium thinking that was the problem, no luck. I have check my update history after the problem goes away to see if there was a huge update downloading, but nothing. I am ready to do another clean install to Windows 10, but I am afraid the problem will be back. I can’t understand why 90% of the computer works great at this time, and only File Explorer, Windows Update, and the DVD player won’t open the program or game etc. It seems like there is something else running somewhere, but like I said when I check Task Manager, there is really nothing out of the ordinary. In fact I have already checked Task Manager and the Hard Drive was at 100%, but the computer was fine. Everything opened properly. Totally confused. Any suggestions, please, Mike

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try switching File Explorer to open to the 'This PC' rather than the default 'Quick access'.

Open File Explorer and click on the View tab.

Click Options > Change folder and search options.

Click the drop down next to 'Open File Explorer to' and select 'This PC' instead of 'Quick access'.

Click Apply.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Silver Member
    Thanks Reverend for the reply. I just made the adjustment you mentioned. I will see what happens, and post back. Any suggestions on why the other items do not open. I just noticed that when this happens, Task Manager will also NOT open. Again this usually only happens during the first hour after the computer starts up. After that, it is perfect. Mike