Intel has (finally) launched the desktop versions of its eighth-generation 'Coffee Lake' processors, and claims that the top-of-the-range Core i7-8700K is its 'best gaming desktop processor ever.'

The long-awaited processors, which the firm has previously confirmed will be built using the '14nm++' manufacturing process, comprise of the quad-core Intel Core i3 and hexa-core Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs.

The flagship Core i7-8700K CPU, which has its sights set firmly on AMD's top-end Ryzen chips, feature a 25 per cent improvement in performance over Kaby Lake, according to Intel.

Adopters of the flagship CPU will also see 32 per cent performance gains for 4k video editing, while streaming and recording will be 45 per cent faster than before.

Intel also said that it has implemented some new some new 4k technology that will lead to smoother streaming of 10-bit, HDR UltraHD video now on services such as Netflix. The new processors will support Intel Optane, the memory acceleration technology that Intel began rolling out in 2016.

Anand Srivatsa, general manager of the Desktop Platform Group at Intel, said: "We are laser-focused on giving the enthusiast community the ultimate desktop experience, from chart-topping performance to a platform that can flex with their needs.

"Our eighth-gen Intel Core desktop processors deliver tremendous improvements across the board and - for gamers, in particular- offer an unbeatable experience."

Intel's Coffee Lake CPU lineup will be available from the 5th October. The Core i3 chips, with base clock speeds up to 4GHz, will start at $117, while pricing for the Core i5 CPU will start at $182. The flagship Core i7-8700K will be available from $359.

As expected, Intel's new CPUs will require a new chipset (Z370), and thus new motherboards. Intel has confirmed that previous-gen CPUs will not work with the new chipset.

The arrival of Intel's 8th-gen Coffee Lake CPUs comes just days after it was revealed that the firm has delayed the launch of its first 10nm CPUs for the third time. The chips, codenamed 'Cannon Lake', are now unlikely to launch until late 2018.

V3.co.uk