Thread: A download and attempt to install a small program screwed up.

A download and attempt to install a small program screwed up.

I'm running XP. The program was a freebie from Green Parrots software called 1st QuickRes Light, designed to basically do what the MS Utility called QuickRes did in MS's Power Toys program (for 98 and ME). QuickRes was not included in XP, which was why I downloaded this free 1st QuickRes Light from Green Parrots Software. The download was a zip. Download went off without a hitch, as did the unzipping. Then, somehow, a bunch of things went wrong. When I put a shortcut on the desktop and clicked on it I ended up at "My Computer" window and somewhere along the way the shortcut to my computer icon got associataed with lst QuickRes Light icon. Or if I clicked on the QuickRes shortcut, the descriptive details beside it became hi-lit. At one point the shortcut to my computer managed to get a copy of itself in the QuikRes folder!!!

So I thought to uninstall it all (save for the zip file) and reinstall and attempted to delete the QuickRes folder. Well, it began to delete but in 5" I got told: "Cannot delete 1stqres.exe. Access is denied. Make sure disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I tried a warm reboot and a cold reboot, and re-deleting in each instance, but the undesirable behavior I described above continued.

What can I do to correct the problem? I would not think that the file was in use...I think some bit of code is screwed up. Can someone give me some ideas on what I can do to get rid of the problem. And if I get rid of QuickRes that's OK too.

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    John,
    The easiest way to attempt to fix this is to try a system restore.
    Click on start, click on all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore.
    Hopefully you have several restore points to go back to. If so pick the the earliest date right before you installed your software.
    Let me know if that works for you. If not I am sure I or some of the other members in here can help.
    BB

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    also try ctrl-alt-delete
    to get the windows task manager
    select processes and look for the qrez dll or something that may be the program runnung

right click on it and select end process tree

now try to uninstall

if this leads to know where you can try typing msconfig in the run dialog in the start menu

select startup

and uncheck the files that may be associated with the qrez program

reboot and uninstall

let us know how it turns out

i think system restore should do the trick

its such a nice feature

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hi BB and Egghead:

Well, problem is solved. QuickRes is gone from my computer. My thanks to you both.

I tried first Egghead's idea and In Task Manager > Processes I found "1stqres.exe". right-clicked and hit 'Delete' and it was gone in a flash. I did a cold reboot just for kicks.

Btw, QuickRes never did get put in Add/Remove. And several times in the attempt to get rid of it, I got the message "file is corrupt." along with all the weird behaviors one gets from a corrupt file.

Had this failed I would have gone to System Restore. I wanted to go Task Manager> Proceses first because I'd never gone that route before, never had even been aware of it. Pretty neat now to have an idea of what to do when I get the message: "Cannot delete (filename). Access is denied. Make sure disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I have a very strong suspicion that the basic problem may well have been that QuickRes (even whatever free version I downloaded from Green Parots Software) was not adapted for XP, even though it was suggested in a PCWorld article (p. 212, Dec. 02 issue) FOR Windows XP software.

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    thanks wumply for the info

nice to see you've got it worked out

you may want to send a bug report to te authors if you like the program

it sounds like a nightmare

here try this to change resolutions

similar to win95

QuickResNT
    its free
    http://sunlightd.virtualave.net/Projects/QuickResNT/

cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    glad to hear you got it sorted.
    In the future when you install seemingly innocent software, I suggest highly that you run over and make a quick restore point, just in case it does some damage that cannot be undone.
    BB

BB:

Hey, that suggestion really clicks. I'll make damn sure I'll remember it! And THANKS.

John