Thread: XP / IE6 Puzzler

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar

XP / IE6 Puzzler

Hello

At home I have XP Pro running 2 user accounts

Myself as admin and a standard limited account user.

How come when using the IE6 address bar in my account lets me put

netrg.net + [enter]

yet when i do the same in the other account i have to type

http://netrg.net + [enter]

else it just highlights it and sits there doing nothing

This has happenend on each clean install i have done and is therefore not a localised problem for this particular install

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Richard
    [email protected]

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Note that Internet Explorer 4.x uses inline AutoComplete for Web addresses and commands or folder names. This functionality of the AutoComplete feature provides suggestions for what you are typing by automatically completing the address or command inline with the closest match. By default, this functonality is enabled in Windows Explorer and disabled for Web addresses in Internet Explorer 5 (and replaced by a drop-down list).

To enable the inline AutoComplete feature for Web addresses, follow these steps in Internet Explorer:
    On the Tools menu, click Internet Options .

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Browsing , click the to select the Use inline AutoComplete for Web addresses check box, and then click OK.

Note that disabling the AutoComplete feature for Web addresses (see the "Adjusting AutoComplete Settings" section of this article) and enabling inline AutoComplete for Web addresses enables the same AutoComplete behavior as in Internet Explorer 4.x.

NOTE : If the inline AutoComplete feature is enabled for Web addresses, addresses that do not include a resource identifier prefix (for example, http:// or ftp://) are not automatically completed. To work around this issue, either specify the resource identifier prefix for Web addresses for which you want to use the inline AutoComplete feature, or disable the AutoComplete feature for Web addresses and use only inline AutoComplete (Internet Explorer 4.x AutoComplete).
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...1/48.ASP&e=921

Check that article out. It seems to be referring to IE 4.X but it might also be helpful in your situation.
    Perhaps using the limited standard account, the autocomplete feature is turned off by default...
    If that does not solve your problems just post again and we shall take another crack at this puzzle.
    BB

It was a good thought and i expected it to work, however it didnt fix it.

If it knew the address then it filled it but if it didnt then nothing

if i type techzonez.com and the 2nd account and press [enter] or the green "go" button they both ignore the URL and the browser does nothing however if it is completely typed in http://techzonez.com when both suddenly work

Very annoying for my seond user

Thanks

Richard

try this go to tools
    internet options
    advanced
    scroll down until you see the
    use inline autocomplete.
    Make sure that is checked!

Now restart your PC
    and try it out,
    if that does not work
    try these two suggestions:
    1) give your Second account full access and permissions.
    2) go to internet explorer, tools, internet options, programs, click on reset web settings.
    See if that fixes your problem. If not post again and we shall see what to do next.

Also,
    try this, create another dummy account and see if it works still the same, and post your results,
    BB

Originally posted by Big Booger
    try this go to tools
    internet options
    advanced
    scroll down until you see the
    use inline autocomplete.
    Make sure that is checked!

Now restart your PC
    and try it out,

Done this but not tryed it after rebooting,, will do that later

if that does not work
    try these two suggestions:
    1) give your Second account full access and permissions.

Tried but nothing

2) go to internet explorer, tools, internet options, programs, click on reset web settings.

Tries but nothing

See if that fixes your problem. If not post again and we shall see what to do next.

Also,
    try this, create another dummy account and see if it works still the same, and post your results,

Tried but nothing

BB

I have looked any have a couple of things to try as well

Thanks for your help

Richard

Enigmatic indeed

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q194177

Try that article and give it a whirl. This is my last suggestion other than contacting micro$oft.

I hope this one works for you. Have you tried this on another machine with XP?
    Just wondering.
    Good luck
    BB

This has happened on 2 machines so far

I have had no luck fixing it, and we will just have to tolerate this little "feature"

BTW.

Am i able to legally install 2 copies of XP onto the one machine and dual boot them.

The license agreement doesnt quite make this clear

Thanks for the suggestions

Richard

Technically I dont think you can...
    at least according to this article
    www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2819063,00.html+is+it+legal+to+install+XP+on+two+computers%3F&hl=en&start=2]STANCE OF XP ON TWO MACHINES[/URL]
    AND THIS ARTICLE
    Why can't I just install the update on all my machines like I used to? I've bought the software. Do I have to buy an upgrade for all my machines at home?
    Croft: The Windows license is based on one copy per PC. So users will need a valid license for each PC they want to use XP on.
    To assist those customers wishing to purchase more than one copy of Windows XP (but less then 5--the minimum for the Open Licensing agreement), Microsoft recently announced the Family License Pack. Customers who have already purchased one upgrade copy of Windows XP Professional or Home Edition may purchase additional product activation codes for $8 to $12 less than a full copy of the product. In these cases, the same installation CD may be used in conjunction with the new activation code(s) for each installation.

The goal of Windows Product Activation is to reduce a form of piracy known as "casual copying." Casual copying is the sharing of software between people in a way that infringes on the software's end user license agreement (EULA). This form of piracy is prevalent and has been estimated by some industry trade groups to account for a staggering 50 percent of the economic losses due to piracy. Worldwide, the piracy rate is estimated to be 37 percent; in other words, one out of every three software products in the market is pirated.

Over time, reduced piracy means that the software industry can invest more in product development, quality and support. This ensures better products and more innovation for customers. Ultimately, customers will benefit from the economic impact of reduced piracy through increased job opportunities and higher wages. Customers will also receive the best value for their software investment by being able to receive updates and other product information.
    I believe you can though...
    Its all a load of crap...
    Don't fret. I think as long as your not installing this on all your networked computers, your parents, relatives, neighbors, friends, or out selling it on the black market (CONAN LOL :P)
    you should be ok.

You can install Office XP on two machines though, without a doubt.
    Do I need to activate each time I install my boxed version of Office onto a new machine?
    Yes. A single license permits you to install Office XP onto two computers, for example your desktop station and your laptop. You need to activate it for each of these instances.

www.bcentral.co.uk/technology/office/tips/ProductActivation.asp+is+it+legal+to+install+XP+on+two+computers%3F&hl=en&start=1]READ THE RANT[/URL]

BB

yes, you can install the same version of xp on the same computer on two different partitions with the same cd-key. but why would you want to?

The way I see it, so long as the 2 copies are never run at the same time it is still technically the same copy, as its not as though i am running them on different machines

And if this case 2 installs on the same machine would be OK

WHY run 2 copies!!!!!

Well...

Essentially Myself and the G/F both use the machine but she only needs it for simple surfing and doesnt need any extra.

No matter how hard you try you will never stop XP installing software and shortcuts for both USERS (we use different logons)
    which just causes clutter for her

With 100GB of HD space it is fairly easily to have a 5GB partition just for her and install a fresh copy of XP on it that will never get messed up by me, coupled with a dual boot of the two it makes a good solution.

Plus it gets rid of the problem i described at the start of this thread

Thanks

Richard
    [email protected]