Thread: Get Rid Of Msn Autosearch

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Get Rid Of Msn Autosearch

"Many people have probably noticed that MSN and hotmail have started popup ads, or at least increased their frequency. In its own right, this is rather annoying, but today it went overboard. I went to enter a URL in the address bar and missed a letter. As usual, Internet Explorer (6.0) launched the typical search on the MSN Web site. The MSN search page popped up an advertisement. I know I can install popup stoppers, disable scripts, etc., but then I feel like I have lost a part of the Internet. This, on the other hand, was too intrusive. Just because I mistype a URL doesn't give Microsoft the right to give me an advertisement. I would definitely not miss this 'feature,' so I went in search of a way to disable Autosearch from the address bar. I'm sure many of your users already know this tip or know a better way of doing it, but this is what I found. There was a Customize button which appeared in the search area. This brought up a 'Customize Search Settings' dialog. At the bottom of the dialog, there's a button called 'Autosearch settings.' This seemed like the place to go. Under the 'When searching:' drop-down I was able to select 'Do not search from the Address bar.' This setting has now disabled the Autosearch feature from the address bar and has increased by browsing speed when I accidentally mistype a URL."
    THis from the lockergnome. Very interesting and it works!

i FOUND A easier way to do this.
    Go to IE, tools, internet options, advanced, search from address bar, put a check in the box that says "Do not search from the address bar"
    BB
    BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; April 29th, 2002 at 02:13 AM.