Thread: Setting up a pub with a Dynamic IP.

Setting up a pub with a Dynamic IP.

How do you do this?
    I have a Dynalink RTA210 Router and currently have an account with no.ip.com. so I understand how to setup this end of it up but I lose the plot with the router and G6FTP. I think I need to open the the right port of something....

Anyone got any easy to follow instructions?

ICQ-82671072

BJ:

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I am sort of running the same thing on my setup Bee-jay. Make sure you registered your IP with no-ip.com. Mine is bigbooger.no-ip.com

Works great. I have it to auto-update my IP as it changes.
    Now all you have to do is setup Bullet Proof. Create an account. If you are going public you might want to change the port, but the default 21 seems to work fine.

To set up group accounts for a large number of users:

Choose a group for your user
    If you want several users to have the same access rights to your FTP Server it's a good idea to setup one group account for all of them rather than giving new accounts to each. This is a very sophisticated method to handle large numbers of users/user rights without too much of work.

Click on the group icon to define a group

In our example we have created a group called 'Demo_Group'. All members of this group have RLS access to 'C:\'. The group password is not defined so if you want your users to have a password then you can specify:

one password for the group => all members of this group will have the same password

one password for each of the members => each member of this group will have his personal password

Note concerning group rules:

user directories are composed of user directory (if specified) + group directories => the first dir is always the user's home dir. If you don't specify a directory for a user he will have access to the group directory and the group's home dir will be his home dir.
    a user's access rights always have priority over his group's settings (so if a user ratio is checked then the group's ratio won't be effective, same for quota => you can set up personal user settings for each group member)
    misc and ratio are to be set similar to the user settings
    -> user > Group
    -> group properties are the default for all group members (as long as the user hasn't his own rights defined!)

ONce you have it setup the way you like, then you probably need to go into your router's setup dialog using your web browser:

Once you have gone in, you can give complete access to all programs without any firewall support, mine is called DMZ (de-militarized zone) don't ask me why.. I then just plugged in my internal IP address, and it routes all traffic sent to my external IP straight to my internal, without any firewall support through the router..
    Now if that is a bit to unsafe for you and you'd prefer to do it program by program, then select, on my it is called "Server Port Unlocks" (written in Japanese) and I just select the ports I want and it has space for about 100 different ports to be unlocked or "Mapped" and then forwarded to my internal IP, which I also must enter in one of the tabs next to the port #. It also gives me the ability to map port strings, for example 4660-4667 (edonkey ports).. etc...

IN your case, if you left it at the default, you'd want to map Port 21.. but if you changed it to a custom port number, then you'd have to map it to that port.

Now, remember this, if you choose an obscure port, that means every user that connects to you is also going to have to map that port too...
    just a thought.

I hope that is easy enough, if not let me know and I will try to explain a little better.
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner... I actually didn't see this post until now.
    ONE LAST THING:

Remember you have two IP addresses, when behind a router, the internal IP, usually something like 192.168.0.#

and your external IP address, the one visible to the world. The external will be the one you give out to everyone that you want to connect to your IP. When I first set up a server about 3 years ago.. i farked that up LOL
    but perhaps you already know that info.

BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; November 30th, 2002 at 14:19 PM.

http://www.dynalink.co.nz/support/rta210_qg.pdf

there is a decent guide on setting up your router. I think you have to click the advanced tab in your router configuration program to get to the port mapping settings.
    BB

I will study this tonight!!

Thanks for making the effort Big, I will be in touch !

B.

ok Big I'm getting closer.
    thanks for making it clear about the ip address I needed to know that. Would I not give the people the no-ip addy or domain name?

Anyway, I have tried the bullet proof setup but I'm not having a lot of luck. I understand the bullet proof setup of account ok I think my problem is with the router.

You are corret about clicking on the advanced tab, there is a setting in there called Virtual Server

Would you suggest using any other account set-up pro other than Bullet Proof?

I had no problem doing this on dial up.

If you have time more help is needed......I'm feeling pretty thick
    Last edited by Bee-Jay; December 3rd, 2002 at 07:52 AM.

Bulletproof is one of the simplest.
    Sorry I did mean that you would give them your No-ip addy, not your external.. as it is dynamic
    Leave the first TCP/Ip item as user defined. Then add your internal IP and the port # that you choose to the second TCP/IP option.
    You will use TCP for the protocol. You will enter your IP (internal) in the IP field. Then add port #, whatever you choose, that will then route any traffic to your NO-Ip account into your Internal address over Port 21.

Make sure you have BP setup correctly. If you want we can get together and test it out. Just let me know. If you have MSN I can help you in real time.
    Seems like you are heading down the right path. Make sure you have activated your account with the No-IP site. I forgot to do that as well LOL

BB

sweet.

my e-mail is bj2tough@hotmail.com

Look forward to it big.

Cheers
    Mate!

Well as soon as you are on next we shall get it working, hopefully. I have added you to my MSn contact list.
    BB

I will keep an eye out Big.

Cheers!

BJ.