Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wdmaud.drv in WinXP setup

wdmaud.drv in WinXP setup

hi, the wdmaud.drv file did not copy during the fresh install of Winxp pro (with sp1) and as a result the system does not allow me to even load drivers for the sound controller/midi devices. It reports whenever I do try ( and I've tried several times, both new & old) that the 'Data is invalid'.
    nothing else seems to be affected and all is great except there's not gonna be any tunes unless I can get this straightened out.
    any help is much appreciated
    It's not that my mind wanders....it's that sometimes it just leaves completely !!!

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez.

OK,try this first.
    Copy the attached wdmaud.drv file to your C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory,then reboot.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

sorry to report but that didn't work in this case. have enclosed the error reporting window so if that can clarify anything for you or someone it would be nice.
    thanx for the help tho
    It's not that my mind wanders....it's that sometimes it just leaves completely !!!

letz try the attachment again......sorry

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Did you recently do a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard? I had the same thing happen in the past when I tried to upgrade to my board's latest BIOS.

You might be experiencing a Registry protection problem.
    Try this solution;

Go to Start, Run.Type "regedit" without the quotes and hit enter.

Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\PCI

and you will see a number of keys of the form "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these folders will be another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for the "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install. Right Click on the "VEN_xxxx" for that device and select 'Permissions' and then tick "Allow" for "Full Control". Close Regedit and then continue with the installation of your device.

nope....got it ready but didn't install it as I didn't want the possibility of compounding the original setup error (see 1st post).
    I've been to the MS site that describes just such an event during an install but it presumes that you exit from the setup and clean the cd/fix the cd player/set any bios settings to default etc etc...

thanx Reverend for the reg tweak. the Midi component is now operational and by uninstalling the offending 'audio controller' and trying to use the original motherboard drivers the error message window came up titled as 'Updatedriverforplugandplaydevices' and ' the data is invalid'. so is there something in the registry to fix this little wonder??
    thanx again

Have you tried the reg tweak for all your PCI devices?

The Audio controller might be Modem related.

whewww.........finally and much thanks to you Reverend -- and appropriately on our American counterparts' Thanksgiving too -- but the change-all advice worked well enough for me to eventually get the darn thing loaded. Mind you it took some fancy searching/extracting/loading of necessary files/drivers to get it that way but ...it's on and that's what it is all about for now.....hmmmm maybe I should wait on that update for just a day or two....
    again thank you to all who took the time to help out and especially to the Rev.

No probs.Glad i could help.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Well, glad to see you got it worked out. Ol' Rev is always there when you need him, and even when you don't LOL
    Welcome to Techzonez and post and ask as many questions as you like.
    BB

Unhappy oh oh

it's 2 months later and I had to go over this install thing again and had the exact same prob.......but now even tho I've done all that worked the first time I can't get the SIS 7012 audio drivers to load. Still the same error notice about 'invalid data'.
    Is there any other ideas on this problem ??
    thanx in advance

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    can you disable the sound and midi and usb and network card in the bios and load windows and install the motherboard drivers for the soundcard and see if it will finally load?

it could be a plu and play interrupt conflict.
    can you tell me the model number of the motherboard or the model number of the computer and manufacturer?

we like a challange and i want to see it running good for you.

is the windows xp with sp1 slipstreamed?

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

hello, and thank you for getting back...
    I tried to disable as much as I could and only ended up with :
    -no mouse, no Internet, no sign of the 'Multimedia Audio Controller'.
    the hardware wizard couldn't find anything that wasn't installed and so could not make use of the cd-rom installation. After enabling all again the hardware wizard stops at the same point as it did in the original XP installation with the error message stating:

'Cannot install this hardware
    There was aproblem installing this hardware:
    Multimedia Audio Controller

An error occurred during the installation of the device......the data is invalid'

the pc is home grown and using v1 of the K7s5a. all has been running flawlessly since it was originally built in Nov/01

no it is not slipstreamed
    phew.......I hope that helps....
    bye for now