Thread: Configmg

Unhappy Configmg

Hi Guys,

Can you help me out on this one? My computer is starting up with this error, windows protection error CONFIGMG, you must restart your computer. It then goes into safe mode with no problems in device manager and apparently the CONFIG.SYS file is empty. I restart and it comes up normal, however, CONFIG.SYS is still empty.

What is this and how do I fix it? Is this a config manager of some kind? I've got all the other problems solved on reformat, this one is sticking. You guys are lifesavers, thanks!

Sharon

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    This is on Windows Millenium right? How long ago was the reformat?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try this Microsoft KB article Q187612

If that doesn't solve it,let us know and we'll find another solution.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Unhappy Need a bios update??????

Thanks Reverend and Conan! Sadly, I don't have the power management option they spoke of and disabling the L2 Cashe didn't work. My OS is Win98 SE. My board is a ECS/Elite K7S5A....no numbers no letters no plus....just that.

My last option is a bios update/flash.

I AM SCARED TO DEATH TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!

I did this once to my gigabyte board and I did it with my hands over my face!

Can you guys lend a hand to a scaredy cat and help me out with which one I'm supposed to choose? Tons of warnings on the Elite site NOT to do it if there are no problems (well I got one!) and that I have to be sure to pick the right one.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/k7s5a.htm

Went into Bios and my version is AMI Bios version 1.2.11

Can't make sense out of what to pick there. Maybe its me, brain is fried, its Christmas and cellphone sales have been through the roof!!

Thanks so much for your help guys, I vote, vote, vote!

Sharon

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I would get the latest one dated 2002/11/04. Let's wait for Rev's input first before you decide your course of action.

Talking Hangin'.........

Thanks Conan,

I'm hanging.......

Sharon

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Make sure that you save your current BIOS in case of failure, that way you can always reflash it with your old BIOS. It should work. Just double check everything. Follow their instructions to the T.

I wonder though, if removing the CMOS, which in effect would clear everything and return it to normal, might do the trick. I would try that before flashing the BIOS, just take the CMOS battery out of its socket, wait 5 seconds and then replace it. Be careful to not which side is up and which goes down in the socket.

Couple of other things to try, remove any external devices, like USB, serial, and parrallel, other than the mouse and keyboard.
    Next remove any internal, non-essential devices like your sound card, NIC, modem, TV card, etc... it could be a rogue device driver is screwing up the booting procedure.

Next thing, have you by chance added any new ram? If so, try removing it. I read on another site that when they added an extra stick of ram, this error would come up. If they removed the ram it worked fine...

Well it seems like you have tried to disable the L2 cache, but did you try the second option refering to the BIOS APM from the article that Reverend posted?
    Give that a whirl and see if it works.
    BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; December 8th, 2002 at 03:33 AM.

You reformatted the hard dive. So I guess you ran Win98 before, right? Have you always ran Win98 or did you recently upgrade from Win95 (or) did you downgrade from WinME or WinXP?

There are many issues when reinstalling a operating system or performing a clean installation on a hard drive that had a operating system previously installed and running.

Have you recently added additional hardware? Maybe updated a driver for hardware or software? Have you recently been inside the machine?

Your error is hardware specific. You may have a bad Master Boot Record on the hard drive. Something may have corrupted it and thats why Windows is loosing trcak of things. I would download ( if you do not have it) the hard drive setup disk from your hard drive manufacturer and rebuild the hard drive. Be sure to rebuild a new MBR.

Then flash the BIOS. Like Booger said, if you still have problems, take out the non-essiential hardware, and basicly rebuild the PC. This will pin point the problem and enable you to solve it all once and for all.

Hope this helps.

This error can also occur if the BIOS APM setting is incorrect. Use the following steps to resolve the APM issue:

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
    2. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    3. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Device Manager tab.
    4. Click the plus sign (+) next to System devices.
    5. Double-click Advanced Power Management support.
    6. On the Advanced Power Management support Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
    7. Click to select the Force APM 1.0 mode check box, and then click OK.
    8. Restart your computer in Normal mode.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 187612

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    The config.sys file should ideally be empty when in Windows mode,because the system presumes you are using the correct drivers.

Did you get a software setup CD with the Motherboard?

What i suggest you do first is shutdown your machine and turn off the PSU at the mains.
    Open your case and unplug the ATX connector from the board.
    Now look for Jumper #4,(see attachment below),and using long nosed pliers or tweezers,short out the CMOS by lifting the jumper off the 2 pins (numbered 2 & 3) and replacing it onto pins (numbered 1 & 2).
    Leave for about 10 seconds,then return the jumper to pins 2 & 3.

Now reconnect the ATX connector,making sure it is fully in (you should hear a small click as the clip locks in place).
    Close the case and turn the mains back on.
    Now turn on your machine,and pop in the Motherboard installation CD.It should Autorun and install the relevant drivers for the board.You will probably need to reboot when installation is complete.

Let us know how it goes.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========