Thread: printing the outlook express addresses

Bronze Member

printing the outlook express addresses

i know how to print the address list/book. but i cannot make it just print in a list format, just the name and the email address.

any ideas how? there has to be a way.

thanks

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Try the following site first:
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4250.asp

It seems to hit on what you want to do. If that doesn't work then try the link below. It is a little more general but it might help.

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/an...253341,00.html

try that site. It has a rough guide on how to change the options and such when printing the address book.

Good luck,
    BB

Bronze Member
    i was able to do the export and work around and could print my address using the Commas Separated and spreadsheet method.

the only thing is: it did not export ALL my addresses. it only exported the names in the Main Identitiy Category but not its 4-5 sub directories.

this gets tricky now- i can do a workaround by: backing up the addresses using a software programp TweakIE 3.0, then move all the names into the main identity category and eliminate the sub directories. and then print.

then i would return to the backup copy of TweakIE and do a restore of the email names.

cheez- is there an easier way? lol

Bronze Member

Finally solved the problem

The problem was: how to print from outlook express the address book. Oh yes, one could print from the outlook express the list of names but the hard copy results was not the way to go.

The previous answer from Big Booger is right on. Go to http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4250.asp and that was half of the answer.

The other half of the problem was successfully exporting ALL the names on the list.

But as I have noted before: i was able to do the export and work around and could print my address using the Commas Separated and spreadsheet method.

the only thing is: it did not export ALL my addresses. it only exported the names in the Main Identitiy Category but not its 4-5 sub directories.

Conclusion: Go to Address Book, Main Identity-> New Contact and then submit the new email address entry. Then all the names are visible.

If you take that name and place it into the subdirectory folders- you cannot export the names within. It does not work.

However, the workaround trick is to - take that name and place it into a category called- New Group. If you have place the names into the "new group" folders then the names become visible.

And then that name is visible for exporting.

Then you can follow the instructions as directed in the url presented earlier.

Bronze Member

Reversing the idea

how would one import a .csv file into outlook express?

i switched from win98se to winxp and my backup program was unable to do the transfer. It was caused by the exported registry files in Windows 9x/Me being in ASCII format vs. those in NT/2000/XP being in Unicode format.

so now i am looking for an workaround.

any ideas out there?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    File > Import > Other Address Book
    Select Text File (Comma Separated Values) click import.
    Then hit the browse button and locate the .csv file and select it then finish the import.

Or you may need to map the text file first,so try this method

File > Import > Other Address Book.
    Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Next.
    Locate and click the .csv file and then click Next.
    Map the text fields in the .csv file to the appropriate address book fields:
    Click to select the check box of the text field that you want to map.
    In the Change Mapping dialog box, click the appropriate address book field.
    Click to select the Import This Field check box, and then click OK.
    Click Finish.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I don't know if this will help you but I regularly back up my Address Book by just exporting it as a WAB file. When I reformat I just import back the WAB file and all my contacts are intact.

Bronze Member
    thanks guys,

i will try it out later and let you know.

i hate having complications with my email address book esp when i religiously back it up. but i never dreamed i would have such complications switching from 98 se to xp.

i even had a important saved folder that i cannot access. (sigh)

If that folder happens to be a .dbx then Dbxtract may help you.

It extracts .dbx files to .eml format which can be read by most any mail client. Be forwarned to extract to a folder or everything in the .dbx folder will be all over the desktop.

Dbxtract

Hey Conan! I have a question about the wab file. I'm running xp and I only have the option to do csv file. But when I want to import I only have the option for wab file. This had been bugging me for awhile but I had forgotten about it. I know I made a wab file in the past but maybe that was when I had ME???? Very confusing. Is there something I'm missing?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by misskellibad1
    Hey Conan! I have a question about the wab file. I'm running xp and I only have the option to do csv file. But when I want to import I only have the option for wab file. This had been bugging me for awhile but I had forgotten about it. I know I made a wab file in the past but maybe that was when I had ME???? Very confusing. Is there something I'm missing?
    I'm using XP Pro, these are the options when I click on Import or Export (I get the same options for both) File, Export/Import, Address Book (WAB), Business Card (vCard), Other Address Book.

Thanks for the reply Conan I figured with xp home maybe I just don't have those options.