Thread: XP Network Problem

XP Network Problem

HI just got a new pc and installed network. Both are running Windows XP Home Edition with SP1. I used a router, and XP networking. On the main pc, I can access the files in the second, read etc, but I cannot send files to that PC, error messages says something like check to make sure harddrive is not full or write protected. On the second pc I can send files to the first? Any idea how I can get full file and printering sharring on both pc's? Thanks very much.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    open windows explorer and right click on your c: drive and make sure you have the drive set to shared on both pc's

cheers
    egghead
    Last edited by egghead; January 4th, 2003 at 23:53 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

You can also share just a single folder ( or multiple ) if you like. Be sure to check "Allow network users to change my files" if you need to alter files such as saving a word document that you have added text to and want to save it to another computer's hard drive.
    Last edited by Tinker; February 21st, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

XP Network Problem

Hi: tried again clicked on to C drive set sto sharing and allow others to change files on network, but when I tried to move/cope file to other pc, still got message of "access denied" to make sure drive is not full or right protected. I can see and read files in other pc but cannot move files to it? strange

Try setting just one folder to sharing and see what happens. I have had the same problem and this seems to have taken care of it for me. When I set a drive to share it does not share all the folders in that drive just the root of the drive. Try copying something to the root of the drive and see what happens.

I have read many a post on this topic and it seems that some will work by just setting the root of a drive to share and some you have to set the folders to share............... Go figure....

Smile XP Network Problem

Tinker, it worked solved the problem, thanks very much.

Cool......

Your welcome...........

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well in win2k you can go to sharing>>>security then click on make subdir inheritable and it will share all of it. Im at work right now with no xp box but should have the same security measures, oh yeah this will only work on an NTFS partition.

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    It can also help if you have the same user account name on both machines with the same password set

XP will then think you are the same user

Just becuase you share a drive doesnt mean that you have give access to the files itself.

You have to set

1. sharing permissions
    2. NTFS permissions