Thread: question for shadow_warez

Question question for shadow_warez

Hello! I noticed in your sig that you have a Sony CD burner.

I have a Sony Spressa CD-RW running on a WindowsME machine and have started to have some problems with it. Just wondering if you had any suggestions....

#1 problem: When adding more data to a multi-session CD, my system freezes up at the "finalizing disk" step of the operation. After rebooting and then checking the CD, I find that the data was written perfectly and I can access it just fine. Just wondering why that step would crash the system.

#2 problem: When burning an audio CD, my system freezes up at the "initializing disk" step....before any data gets written to the CD. After rebooting, I find that my brand-new blank CD is junk!

Any ideas??

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Hmm

have yo ucleant your sytem lately like running scandisk disk defrag or tryed cleaning out the temp files?

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi Twizz1233,

you should also make sure your burner is running in udma mode.
    i've seen problems like yours because the computer is studdering.
    if you have an intel p4 system i recommend getting the application accelerator as this will improve your performance and should solve your problem.

hope it helps

cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    First question I have is what are your system specifications? Do you have a Intel or AMD based system?

Is it a Pentium or Celeron based INtel?

Is it an AMD Athlon or Duron based?

How much ram?

These two factors will certainly help in my ability to help you. If you don't have a powerful machine, it may cause errors. But since the CD burns fine, then I would say it is either a software based issue or an Operating System issue.

IF it is software I suggest upgrading to the latest version of whatever program you are using.

Next, I would seriously consider upgrading windows to XP. ME is known to be problematic. BUt if you must stay with ME, then I suggest to you to download all the latest updates from MS, get all your drivers updated, latest firmware etc..

Let us know how you get on.
    BB

Wow! Thanks for such timely responses, guys.

Shadow: Yes, with Norton Systemworks, I regulary do the defrag and check the disks. Deleting the temp files was about the first thing I tried.

Egg: What is UDMA mode? I see DMA under properties, but not UDMA.

Booger: I have a 2-year-old Dell machine, Pentium III, 128MB RAM. The CD burner is about a year old, and was working just fine until about three or four months ago. Maybe I overworked it, burning all my old vinyl LP's onto CD's! <g>

Twizz

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What software burning program do you use? When was the last time you did a reformat of your hard drive?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If you are using Nero, what version are you using?

If you are using Easy CD Creator from Roxio, what version?

Most likely it has something to do with a software conflict, hard drive speed, (try defragging right before) etc...

Also try closing down any non essential programs, and burning the disk. If you are using the PC while doing the burn it may give the errors that you spoke of.

Also, if it has been a while, you might want to reinstall your OS, just to clear out any issues. A reformat with a new OS seems to work out any bugs or issues, though I only recommend that if you are having an issue that you cannot cure.

Good luck!
    BB

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    is your cd rom and burner on different IDE cables. I would but the fastest drive on your 2nd master and the other as a slave on the primary. I also use a sony and just to let you know the spressa software stinks. I would go with Nero. and like the others said with your system specs I would make sure you have all your TSR's closed when doing a burn you can also make your buffer larger in the options giving the burn alittle breathing room.

Talking fixed!

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me and letting you know I'm again burning CD's with no problem.

Turns out the problem was a byproduct of ANOTHER problem I was having, which was with failed Windows updates. I could download updates from Microsoft, but system would freeze when installing them. My research into that took me here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...6?OpenDocument

Lo & behold, I had about 18,000 of those oem*.inf files on my hard drive, which took me about an hour to delete. Once they were gone, my Windows updates worked, and so did my CD burner.

Now, can someone tell me the relationship between those files and burning CD's? Just curious....

Thanks again, guys. This forum rocks!!

Twizz
    Last edited by Reverend; January 14th, 2003 at 08:58 AM.

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

prob software updates

thiers a few updates my Ms like the software compatabilty update then thiers millions of securtiy patch'es, but good to see you up and runnin Twiz,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,