Big problem here (but then again.. it's usually a big problem when it's got a title with the word: Help.

This afternoon, I tried to install Morrowind to my computer. It went well, but then it asked me if I wanted to install DirectX v.8.1, so I said: Yes. Then the whole thing asked to be rebooted and since I have no choice, I did; Wouldn't be able to play the game, otherwise.

30 minutes later and the splash screen for Windows ME is still running.. so I rebooted and waited another 5 minutes. After a while, I got irritated and pressed [Esc] key (after another reboot), and here's what it said:

Please wait while Setup updates your Configuration files.
This may take a few minutes.

(Then it keeps repeating this..):
Windows could not upgrade the file %1 to %2.

I'm pretty annoyed at the fact that I had also forgotten to make a Startup Disk.. so now I'm stuck. I'm hoping that I can get some help from some veterans.. because I am just absolutely cluless right now as to what to do ^_^;;

It'd be easy to just reformat the whole thing..but I have some files in the computer that I had not backed up... so I would appreciate some help in trying to bypass the 'upgrade' somehow...

Please hear my plea.

--SystemError619